Posted to dev@heron.apache.org by Saad Ur Rahman <sa...@apache.org> on 2022/01/11 23:13:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] Streamlining Builds

Hello everyone,

With the 0.20.5 RC complete, I would like to take some time to discuss some
of the issues that were faced during the build. The vast majority of the
builds needed to be completed off of the ASF Infrastructure and we need to
work towards remediating this.

These are my thoughts and observations from the process:

[1] All build scripts should execute inside of Docker containers. This is
for consistency and control over the build system. Currently, some scripts
execute inside containers whilst others do not.
[2] The use of PEX in the build scripts is causing critical issues. This is
undoubtedly going to get worse over time. We require a solution to this
issue, the ideal one being to start unwinding the PEX from the build
scripts gradually so that we can verify changes.
[3] We should have a script that bootstraps the release candidate build
processes. We should not have to manually perform these steps nor should we
need to intervene in them. A script should execute and trigger the
generation of all the files we need. The only human intervention should be
signing the artifacts and releasing them.

What are your thoughts and observations?

Re: [DISCUSS] Streamlining Builds

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Agreed with 2 & 3.

For 1, I feel the only concern is that docker is Linux friendly, but not
for other platforms (I mean MacOS as target OS). Personally, I don't feel
it is a real problem since it's not that bad to run with docker instead of
native MacOS, but I just would like to bring it up for us to make the call.

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
inlined.