Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2020/03/06 00:02:25 UTC

Re: Recommendation for VP Legal, etc.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 4:15 PM Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
<am...@isipp.com> wrote:
> > Anne P. Mitchell, cc'd, and I have been discussing her penchant for
> > reading boring legalese along with her desire to help the ASF.  Unsure
> > if we are looking for something in VP Legal, VP Brand, VP Trademarks, VP
> > something else, but I wanted to introduce her to the board and open the
> > discussion.
>
> Thank you, Kevin!
>
> Super-excited to get involved and help, if there's a need!

Hi Anne!

Sorry for the belated reply -- somehow I thought that there were a few
replies on this thread already.

Once again, thanks for being interested in helping ASF on the legal
side. You certainly come highly
qualified and we would appreciate your help as much as possible.

Now, to get the expectations straight: ASF is unique in a sense that
we have very few of the positions
within the organization that receive any kind of compensation or
titles for their help. 99% of the work
at ASF is based on pure, unadulterated volunteering of individuals.
Hope this is OK with you.

Most of the legal work done within ASF falls into 3 broad categories:
   1. providing guidance to our communities on legal (mostly IP and
trademark law) issues
   2. reviewing contracts for the foundation itself
   3. handling various exceptional legal situations (e.g. subpoenas,
summons, etc.)

For #1 we mostly use JIRA and mailing lists, so I'd recommend you go
to (you may need to create an account there):
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20%22Legal%20Discuss%22%20and%20status%20!%3D%20closed%20and%20status%20!%3Dresolved
and see the current outstanding 22 issues that we need to provide an opinion on.

For #2 and #3 (given that none of is a legal professional) we
typically do a first pass review and then pass it on for a final
review to our pro bono legal representation DLAPiper. Having you help
there would be great as well.

In fact, speaking of JIRAs, here's a few that kind of fall into #2 as well:

These could be a great entry point for you to start helping us.

Once again -- thanks for your interest -- and if you have any
questions don't hesitate to ask either on the list or personally. I'm
also available for chats during California friendly times.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Recommendation for VP Legal, etc.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 8:02 PM Kevin A. McGrail <km...@apache.org> wrote:

> Another things to consider: Aren't we vacant on the VP for Privacy
> handling GDPR/CCPA, etc.?  I think John was unable to help.  I think
> that's right up her alley.

Dirk (as VP Privacy) is working on a budget and plan for our policy,
and ongoing operations. It might be worthwhile to make an
introduction. Anne certainly seems incredibly well qualified.

> And with certain things like legal work, we *have* recognized it in
> special ways and compensated.  See DLA Piper on the thanks page, for
> example.  What about having her help with trademark work and see if we
> can lower our DLA bills?

We have a similar recurring conversation every few years about the TM work.

With our portfolio of marks it's not very viable to split up the work,
and it can't really be done piecemeal. Someone has to own a long term
docket for all of the marks in each of the different jurisdictions.
It's not just initial filings, it's also the section 8 filings 5-6
years down the road, and section 8 and 9 filings a decade after
initial publication as well as tracking applications to see when
objections need to be made to other entity's filings.

To further complicate this we have a decent portfolio of international
marks, which often require that DLA Piper engage counsel that is local
in that jurisdiction if they don't have an office or someone licensed
there. (and then DLA Piper bills us for that, while managing the
relationship). Anyone else would have to do the same thing. On a
recent bill I recall looking at - 2/3 of the bill was for counsel in
another country.

Every time we've looked at this situation, the only viable options
have been to 1) stick with DLA Piper, or 2) move our portfolio over
entirely to someone else. #2 has always been at a substantial expense,
even if the Marks are already registered.

--David

Re: Recommendation for VP Legal, etc.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
> Well, when the rate gets discounted to 0 it is no longer a discounted rate.
100% agreed.  The financials for the last few years show that isn't the
case.
> Can you please give a complete definition of what you have in mind
> when you say "pro.bono publico legal representation"
>
> Bonus points if this definition is industry accepted, not just used by you.

Very easy.  pro bono publico often shortened to pro bono is Latin: For
the good of the public.
https://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/rule_6_1_voluntary_pro_bono_publico_service/
has the clear ruling definition by nexus for the ASF's purposes.

Putting aside the fact that many of the caveats in the rule might make
recognition by the ABA of any work by a lawyer for the ASF, as pro-bono,
the statement most relevant is: 'delivery of legal services at no fee or
substantially reduced fee" which the relationship with DLA Piper does
not meet either clause.

I want to be clear that I am in no way ungrateful for the discount they
do provide but we do pay them

Regards,

KAM

--
Kevin A. McGrail
KMcGrail@Apache.org

Member, Apache Software Foundation

Re: Recommendation for VP Legal, etc.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 7:01 PM Kevin A. McGrail <km...@apache.org> wrote:

> Sorry, no.  You have numerous inaccuracies which I pointed out in detail.

And so did -- provided clarifications to the understanding that you
seem to take as the final truth.

> Discounted rates does not make your relationship a volunteer one not does dla represent it as such as I am the one who negotiated the targeted sponsorship for them.

Well, when the rate gets discounted to 0 it is no longer a discounted rate.

> Additionally, they receive value from the inkind discount through the recognition program.

That applies to any pro bon representation -- I don't see how ours is different.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Sorry, no.  You have numerous inaccuracies which I pointed out in detail.

Discounted rates does not make your relationship a volunteer one not does
dla represent it as such as I am the one who negotiated the targeted
sponsorship for them.

Additionally, they receive value from the inkind discount through the
recognition program.

The ASF has no current pro.bono publico legal representation and has not
had it in many years.

Regards, KAM

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
From Tom, "yes, DLA Piper is a vendor and has been for quite some time and
does the brand work.  I believe there is some pro bono but I am not sure.
Mark and DLA Piper have been with the foundation for quite some time
handling brand issues and Mark Radcliffe is also a member."

Not discounting the great work and discounts but it has been a long time
since we had pro bono representative for the ASF.

Regards, KAM

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.