Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Damien Boucquey <db...@eft.be> on 2001/04/26 10:40:21 UTC

SOAP Choice

Hi all,

Is SOAP a good choice for communication between a server and client when
both ones are developed by the same company, i.e. as a three tier
proprietary application, or is it an overkill ?

By the way, I tried the samples that came with Apache SOAP and got the
following message:
Fault: SOAP-ENV:Client, Unable to resolve URI namespace for "xsd"

Thanks,

D+

Note: This message and its attachements have been checked for viruses by InterScan VirusWall V3.4

Re: SOAP Choice

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
graham glass wrote:

> i think that unless you're taking advantage of java-specific
> stuff like dynamic class loading, it is better to move towards
> a single-protocol environment, i.e. SOAP.
>
> when you move to a LAN, i bet that the efficiency differences
> between SOAP and RMI/JRMP would be insignificant, and the advantages
> are that every network service you build can be accessed
> from any platform/language.

it may heavily depend on your application though. if you are just exchanging
well defined short messages it may work perfectly but when performance is of
highest importance you should stick with RMI/JRMP or CORBA as they were
_designed_ to be efficient binary protocols.

> i view web services as being an improvement in how you go
> about architecting distributed systems, regardless of where
> they are deployed.

make them more robust and easier to deploy but in controlled environment
robustness may not be that hard to achieve but performance or low load on
resources may be important.

thanks,

alek
--
Aleksander Slominski, LH 316, IU, http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom
As I look afar I see neither cherry Nor tinted leaves Just a modest hut

Re: SOAP Choice

Posted by Amrit Jain <am...@netcontinuum.com>.
graham glass wrote:

> i think that unless you're taking advantage of java-specific
> stuff like dynamic class loading, it is better to move towards
> a single-protocol environment, i.e. SOAP.
>
> when you move to a LAN, i bet that the efficiency differences
> between SOAP and RMI/JRMP would be insignificant, and the advantages
> are that every network service you build can be accessed
> from any platform/language.
>
> i view web services as being an improvement in how you go
> about architecting distributed systems, regardless of where
> they are deployed.
>
> - graham

hey graham ...ur right...

RE: SOAP Choice

Posted by Frederic Jeanne <fj...@symetrx.com>.
Hello graham,

I share your vision and you are probably right for the
next generation of applications. But to be honnest SOAP
is a yound techno, so we can understand some hesitations of middleware
architects to only base their middleware on SOAP for an application which in
most case will be first deployed on a LAN and only used by the legacy
system.

Anyway, If a company provide all the RMI and JMS features and efficiencies
on a SOAP layer no doubt SOAP will be the best choice ;) !

I suppose RMI can be easily replaced by SOAP due to the RPC model used, but
to replace
the JMS features it will be an other affair.

The asynchonous communication paradigm seems not to interest the SOAP
community.

FJ.

RE: SOAP Choice

RE: SOAP Choice