Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/22 11:34:14 UTC

[QUESTION] PUSH -f on master

I did a mistake yesterday, and I pushed a commit I wasn't supposed to.

It was a commit only intended to my box, it says "fix"

nothing too wrong with it, but it has some checkstyle errors. which I
can fix with a later commit.

but if I could push -f and remove it it would be better.

So, we don't have a way to push -f?

Any ideas?

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [QUESTION] PUSH -f on master

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
I don't like push -f, I only use it rarely. I would have used it on
this case as the commit was never meant to be pushed... but it's ok..
we can live with it.
At least I didn't use any curse this time on my commit message...
lol... and no funny debug messages :P

Thanks God is Almost Friday.

Thanks guys.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [QUESTION] PUSH -f on master

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [QUESTION] PUSH -f on master

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Force pushing on shared branches, especially across a larger period of
time, is frowned upon because it will often cause other people issues
when they go to pull/rebase etc. If the original change was yesterday,
I'd just use a revert commit regardless whether a force push was an
option.

I read your message to mean you tried a force push and it failed? They
certainly used to work on the ASF repos, but I wouldnt be surprised if
it doesnt any more due to the gitbox+github dual repo setup since
rewriting history will likely cause more issues with that in place, so
it probably hasnt worked since late last year / early this year?

Robbie