Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/22 09:43:03 UTC

client/admin modularity rambling

Hello folks,

I have recently participated in discussions on openmeetings management
interface. Open of possible options we have discussed was having admin
module separated from the code base. Modularity helps debugging things
and shipping releases. Also being modular helps others to re-use our
code, and re-usability if one of our competitive advantages. BTW,
that's why I support our client code to be in a separate module -
people want having their client UIs customized.

Java has a special API for managing applications [1]. It basically
provides the ability of changing internal state of the application
(flags, parameters, etc) with minimal UI beautification. While there
is no requirement to use this interface, at least it worth taking a
look. This allows using standard jconsole or other HTTP-based consoles
to manage an applications.

Which questions help understanding if some functionality worth a
separate module?
* Does this module have a different customer base? (May be true for
whiteboard, and the server code with client code excluded.)
* Is the module big enough? (True for both client and server modules.)
* Are changes to this module independent from openmeetings changes?
(True for whiteboard, webstart client, admin console UI.)

I wonder if it is possible to build independent modules in wicket.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Management_Extensions

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

Re: client/admin modularity rambling

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
I fully support going step by step. Users won't accept too many
changes at once, and we will have time to fix bugs.

[1] Start using Apache Openmeetings today, http://openmeetings.apache.org/
[2] Join Alexei Fedotov @linkedin, http://ru.linkedin.com/in/dataved/
[3] Join Alexei Fedotov @facebook, http://www.facebook.com/openmeetings

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexei,

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Having two apps to maintain sounds to me even more work then having one app.
I think we have enough work upfront with the HTML5 interface.

>From my experience you normally try to integrate as much as possible into a
single app, not the other way round.
Compare for example other web-application that have a user administration
like any kind of cms, for example wordpress, joomla, moodle whatever: Do
they provide two separated apps, one for the admin and one for the end user?

I also do not really see this strict separation of admins and normal users.
There are already for example "org-moderators". They are in between of
admins and users. So do they also then get their own app or do they got a
light-weighted version of the admin app or ?

Or course modularity is a good thing, but it can be achieved with different
tools and methods then packaging two apps.

Making our app split up like that will also not help others to re-user our
modules.
The main reason why others can't re-use is our technology stack and design.
For example we could build a plugin loader and make any of our content
sections a real module that communicates with the container over a defined
API. That makes it possible to replace one module with another which would
be helpful.
But just splitting up into two apps is no improvement in terms of
modularity from my point of view.

Sebastian

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Alexei,

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: client/admin modularity rambling

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Maxim,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
The only advantage I can see in separating Admin is: we can "force" users
to use HTML5 version.
I hope in upcoming 3.0.0 we can do this without separation, since only few
areas are currently left unimplemented

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax