Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org> on 2006/11/02 10:45:28 UTC

Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Hi,

I've talked to several users in the past period about issues in maven 2.0.4.
It's getting frustrating to see users having the same problems over and over again
due to bugs that were fixed 5 months ago.

There are 53 issues resolved for 2.0.5, and Looking at the number of open issues
for 2.0.5, and still 178 to go. With the current rate of resolving issues, 2.0.5
won't be out at least for another 178 / 53 * 6 months = 20 months.

I feel that there are enough critical issues resolved for 2.0.5 to warrant
a release. Could we start planning a 2.0.6 release and move most of the open
issues from 2.0.5 to 2.0.6?

Here's my +1.

-- Kenney

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
double-plus 1!

On 11/2/06, John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org> wrote:

> Here's my +1 :-)
>
> On 11/2/06, Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know it's lame to throw out a pet issue that's unfixed, but I'm
> > going to do it anyway because it's been such a big problem for me.
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2340 is a critical regression
> > issue that was introduced in 2.0.4 that has made using mvn
> > eclipse:eclipse (or the Netbeans plugin) nearly unusable for me and my
> > coworkers.  I don't know if this issues hasn't gotten enough
> > attention/support/votes because not a lot of people use
> > dependencyManagement with child overrides, or just because it was very
> > difficult to troubleshoot & determine what was happening.  But I hate
> > to think that, as long as this problem has been around, it might have
> > to wait for yet another release cycle...
> >
> > - Stephen
> >
> > On 11/2/06, Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've talked to several users in the past period about issues in maven
> 2.0.4.
> > > It's getting frustrating to see users having the same problems over
> and over again
> > > due to bugs that were fixed 5 months ago.
> > >
> > > There are 53 issues resolved for 2.0.5, and Looking at the number of
> open issues
> > > for 2.0.5, and still 178 to go. With the current rate of resolving
> issues, 2.0.5
> > > won't be out at least for another 178 / 53 * 6 months = 20 months.
> > >
> > > I feel that there are enough critical issues resolved for 2.0.5 to
> warrant
> > > a release. Could we start planning a 2.0.6 release and move most of
> the open
> > > issues from 2.0.5 to 2.0.6?
> > >
> > > Here's my +1.
> > >
> > > -- Kenney

> > --
> > Stephen Duncan Jr
> > www.stephenduncanjr.com

Eric Redmond
http://codehaus.org/~eredmond

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org>.
Here's my +1 :-)

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
I know it's lame to throw out a pet issue that's unfixed, but I'm
going to do it anyway because it's been such a big problem for me.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2340 is a critical regression
issue that was introduced in 2.0.4 that has made using mvn
eclipse:eclipse (or the Netbeans plugin) nearly unusable for me and my
coworkers.  I don't know if this issues hasn't gotten enough
attention/support/votes because not a lot of people use
dependencyManagement with child overrides, or just because it was very
difficult to troubleshoot & determine what was happening.  But I hate
to think that, as long as this problem has been around, it might have
to wait for yet another release cycle...

- Stephen

On 11/2/06, Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've talked to several users in the past period about issues in maven 2.0.4.
> It's getting frustrating to see users having the same problems over and over again
> due to bugs that were fixed 5 months ago.
>
> There are 53 issues resolved for 2.0.5, and Looking at the number of open issues
> for 2.0.5, and still 178 to go. With the current rate of resolving issues, 2.0.5
> won't be out at least for another 178 / 53 * 6 months = 20 months.
>
> I feel that there are enough critical issues resolved for 2.0.5 to warrant
> a release. Could we start planning a 2.0.6 release and move most of the open
> issues from 2.0.5 to 2.0.6?
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> -- Kenney

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Are you referring to the fix I put in for MNG-1908?

For all my testing, this time it looks ok - no performance problems.
But I'd really like some others to test this heavily to make sure
there aren't any side effects I haven't noticed.

- Brett

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On Thu, November 2, 2006 4:59 pm, Kenney Westerhof wrote:

> How do we proceed in deciding what to keep and what to move to 2.0.6?
> Bulk change all open issues and move them, then move back some issues
> mentioned
> on this thread and others?

+1.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 2 Nov 06, at 8:29 PM 2 Nov 06, Kenney Westerhof wrote:

> John Casey wrote:
>> BTW, I'm in favor of the RC staging, then a vote for that binary.
>
> Yes, me too.
> I want to clarify something:
>
> I wasn't suggesting we release 2.0.5 immediately; I didn't even
> talk about how/what to release, just that we cut down the number of
> issues planned for 2.0.5 and start planning a release.
>
> I just created a version for 2.0.6 in JIRA.
>
> How do we proceed in deciding what to keep and what to move to 2.0.6?
> Bulk change all open issues and move them, then move back some
> issues mentioned
> on this thread and others?

I think that's reasonable for the 2.0.5 release. We need to go
through all the issues again, but to get the 2.0.5 out we need a
clear picture of what we're going to fix.

+1

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me. +1.

-john

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Thierry Barnier <tb...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thierry Barnier - cell: 404-771-3048 - tbarnier@gmail.com

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@apache.org>.
a big +1, we should definitively try to release more often

fabrizio

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
The patch attached to MNG-2626 is 25 lines of code and is easily
removable.  I would be disappointed if it was not be applied before
2.0.5 is released.

-b

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
+1 - yes please

I don't know exactly what would be included in a 2.0.5 release, but I
would like to lobby for new releases of wagon providers, etc, so that
the beta-2 version can be included. In particular, the HTTP
compression enhancements would be nice to have.

-Nathan

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by "ir. ing. Jan Dockx" <ja...@mac.com>.
Not a developer, but a quick question on the topic: aren't these
fixes for a large part in plugins, and not in the core?

(As a user, hooray for the release schedule, BTW).

On 2 Nov 2006, at 15:26, Wendell Beckwith wrote:

> I'm all +1 for more frequent releases too.  However, this issue
> goes to the
> core of an issue I brought up previously where maven should publish
> a build
> milestone/release schedule similar to eclipse.  For example, no one is
> asking the Eclipse platform guys and gals to please make a release
> because
> we have known for months that the next milestone release is
> tomorrow, Nov.
> 3.  To me (at least), it would be soooo much more beneficial to end
> users
> and devs if they knew when this stuff was going to happen.  It
> allows for
> planning on both sides.
>
> Wb
>

> On 11/2/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm in agreement, but let's do this right - we should designate a
>> build as an RC and put it out for some testing. If all goes well, we
>> can call a vote.
>>
>> Thanks for pushing this forward Kenney.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Brett
>>
>> On 02/11/2006, at 8:45 PM, Kenney Westerhof wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've talked to several users in the past period about issues in
>> > maven 2.0.4.
>> > It's getting frustrating to see users having the same problems over
>> > and over again
>> > due to bugs that were fixed 5 months ago.
>> >
>> > There are 53 issues resolved for 2.0.5, and Looking at the number
>> > of open issues for 2.0.5, and still 178 to go. With the current
>> > rate of resolving issues, 2.0.5
>> > won't be out at least for another 178 / 53 * 6 months = 20 months.
>> >
>> > I feel that there are enough critical issues resolved for 2.0.5 to
>> > warrant
>> > a release. Could we start planning a 2.0.6 release and move most of
>> > the open
>> > issues from 2.0.5 to 2.0.6?
>> >
>> > Here's my +1.
>> >
>> > -- Kenney

"[…]  my biggest problem is finding out how to do things."
(in a mail on the Maven Users List)

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Wendell Beckwith <wb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Gregory Kick <gk...@gmail.com>.
+1  I've been waiting for the updates to the ant mojo stuff for a while.

On 11/2/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 2 Nov 06, at 10:26 PM 2 Nov 06, Kenney Westerhof wrote:
>
> > Right now they're both scheduled for 2.1 and seem rather complex.
> >
> > If you can get them fixed in a week we can definitely push them to
> > 2.0.5,
> > otherwise we'll wait for 2.0.6, which should come out soon after
> > (talked to
> > Jason about this).
> >
> > Is this acceptable? We want to keep 2.0.5 pretty small and start
> > from a clean
> > slate afterwards.
> >

> Essentially if you've got an issue and provide a patch and tests it
> has a chance of getting into 2.0.5. We haven't released for a while
> so we are inevitably going to run into some issues with merging, find
> a stable build machine, and fixing a issues listed right now so the
> issue set has to remain small. Do what we can and attempt to release
> the RC a week from tomorrow.
>
> Jason.
>
> > Mike Perham wrote:
> >> MNG-2340 and MNG-1577 are both on my must fix list before release.  I
> >> still need to test the latest patch for 1577.
> >> mike

Gregory Kick
http://kickstyle.net/

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
On Do, November 2, 2006 15:09, Mike Perham wrote:
> MNG-2340 and MNG-1577 are both on my must fix list before release.  I
> still need to test the latest patch for 1577.
>
> mike

What about MNG-2646 ? I opened it just yesterday. The attached patch needs
an expert's review, of course, but fixes the issue (for me).

--
Christian

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Mike Perham <mp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Definitely +1!

I am also agree with Brett's comment.
Moreover, we need to review issues before and I am pretty sure that we
could close some of them (specially doc). I will investigate.

Cheers,

Vincent

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Yes!  Please more frequent releases :-)

+1

--jason

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Franz Fehringer <fe...@isogmbh.de>.
Any chances for MNG-2305 (only first active proxy considered/used)?

Greetings

Franz

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Assuming Mike Perham's testing goes OK, I would really like to see my
patch for MNG-1577 in 2.0.5. I cannot move forward with Maven 2 at all
until that issue is resolved.

Ralph

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Kenney Westerhof wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've talked to several users in the past period about issues in maven
> 2.0.4.
> It's getting frustrating to see users having the same problems over and
> over again
> due to bugs that were fixed 5 months ago.
>
> There are 53 issues resolved for 2.0.5, and Looking at the number of
> open issues for 2.0.5, and still 178 to go. With the current rate of
> resolving issues, 2.0.5
> won't be out at least for another 178 / 53 * 6 months = 20 months.
>
> I feel that there are enough critical issues resolved for 2.0.5 to warrant
> a release. Could we start planning a 2.0.6 release and move most of the
> open
> issues from 2.0.5 to 2.0.6?
>
> Here's my +1.
>
> -- Kenney

+1  I'll help with what I can.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On Thu, November 2, 2006 11:45 am, Kenney Westerhof wrote:

> I feel that there are enough critical issues resolved for 2.0.5 to warrant
> a release. Could we start planning a 2.0.6 release and move most of the
> open
> issues from 2.0.5 to 2.0.6?
>
> Here's my +1.

+1.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.
Mark Hobson wrote:
> +1, more frequent releases the better.

Absolutely - and more frequent releases of plugins too.
It's becoming increasingly hard to "sell in" the maven idea to projects
due to long-lasting outstanding bugs (or outstanding releases).
I think this would be a lot easier if releases were more often cut off.

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com

Re: Releasing Maven 2.0.5