Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2001/07/18 19:27:56 UTC

Re: XML::Xerces port to windows

Hi Ilya,

"Sterin, Ilya" <Is...@ciber.com> writes:

> Hello, Jason.  I am currently porting XML::Xerces 1.5.3 to Windows.  I've
> ported the 1.3 version and made it available through PPM repository on
> www.xmlproj.com/PPM

This is really excellent news! I'm glad that we can say there is
something available for windows. I'd really appreciate knowing what
you needed to change in Makefile.PL to make it work for you (there was
no attachment in your previous message).

> But I am havinga problem with the 1.5.3 version.  It's seems like it
> is related to the new Handler libs, croaking with an unresolved
> symbol error.  I searched the files for that sub, and couldn't find
> it.  Is it because I am using the compiled version of Xerces-C for
> Windows.  Should I recompile with support for something else?  Here
> is the error message...
>
> Handler.def : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol boot_Handler
>
> LINK : fatal error LNK1141: failure during build of exports file
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0x475'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.

Usually boot_* symbols are for Perl's DynaLoader, but the Handler
object files are not a stand-alone perl module, and thus shouldn't
have any boot code. I'll have to see your makefile to know what's
going on, plus some more of the compile line before the error msg.

Thanks for this work! I really want to see windows support for
XML::Xerces, so I'll help in whatever way I can.

jas.

Re: XML::Xerces port to windows

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> writes:

> This is really excellent news! I'm glad that we can say there is
> something available for windows. I'd really appreciate knowing what
> you needed to change in Makefile.PL to make it work for you (there was
> no attachment in your previous message).

Sorry, your file was attached, I just wasn't paying attention. You
made very few changes.

I can make the file simpler by removing the need for find:
1) Hardcoding the names of the Handler/*.o files in Makefile.PL
2) Moving the need for find into the XERCES_DEVEL if statement. That
   way normal users have no need for it.

Xerces-C 1.5.1 is going to be released in a couple of days, and will
include a major memory-lead patch, I'll release Xerces.pm-1.5.4 after
that and I'll inlcude these Makefile changes.

I need a way to automatically detect whether compilers require the
HAS_BOOL flag. Some require it, some don't care and some fail if it's
included. Any suggestions?

I wonder how Xerces-C does it...

jas.

Re: XML::Xerces port to windows

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Peter Köller" <pk...@metaprojekt.de> writes:

> > This is really excellent news! I'm glad that we can say there is
> > something available for windows.
>
> Yes, that sounds really good!
>
> I installed the XML-Xerces from www.xmlproj.com/PPM, but I have problems
> trying an example. I used domprint.pl which shows the following error:
>
> ---
> Can't load 'D:/Perl/site/lib/auto/XML/Xerces/Xerces.dll' for module
> XML::Xerces:
>  load_file:Ein der f³r die Ausf³hrung dieser Anwendung notwendige
> Bibliothekdate
> ien kann nicht gefunden werden at D:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 206.
>  at D:/Perl/site/lib/XML/Xerces.pm line 7
> Compilation failed in require at domprint.pl line 71.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at domprint.pl line 71.
> ---
>
> Because the file Xerces.dll was correctly installed in the named directory,
> I don't know why it cannot be load?
>
> Any suggestions?

This is a confusing error message, but if you actually read the
DynaLoader module, they put a big comment right at line 206 explaining
that it's about to call dl_open(), and so if you hit a problem in your
dll, the only error message perl can give you is from this line...

So, you've got a dynamic loading problem. Some symbol is likely
undefined for you.

jas.

Re: XML::Xerces port to windows

Posted by Peter Köller <pk...@metaprojekt.de>.
> This is really excellent news! I'm glad that we can say there is
> something available for windows.

Yes, that sounds really good!

I installed the XML-Xerces from www.xmlproj.com/PPM, but I have problems
trying an example. I used domprint.pl which shows the following error:

---
Can't load 'D:/Perl/site/lib/auto/XML/Xerces/Xerces.dll' for module
XML::Xerces:
 load_file:Ein der f³r die Ausf³hrung dieser Anwendung notwendige
Bibliothekdate
ien kann nicht gefunden werden at D:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 206.
 at D:/Perl/site/lib/XML/Xerces.pm line 7
Compilation failed in require at domprint.pl line 71.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at domprint.pl line 71.
---

Because the file Xerces.dll was correctly installed in the named directory,
I don't know why it cannot be load?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Peter