Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bala Paranj <bp...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/21 01:48:20 UTC

Renaming a Directory

When I rename a directory and commit, I get the error message "Out of Date" error message.

21:43:39:~/work/sesame > svn move timelib util
A         util
D         timelib/Clock.java
D         timelib
21:43:47:~/work/sesame > svn commit -m "Renamed timelib to util"
Deleting       timelib
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Out of date: '/sesame/trunk/timelib' in transaction '10-1'

How can I fix this? TIA.

Re: Renaming a Directory

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Gavin Lambert wrote:
> Quoth Bala Paranj <ma...@yahoo.com>:
>> When I rename a directory and commit, I get the error message "Out of
>> Date" error message.
>>
>> 21:43:39:~/work/sesame > svn move timelib util
>> A         util
>> D         timelib/Clock.java
>> D         timelib
>> 21:43:47:~/work/sesame > svn commit -m "Renamed timelib to util"
>> Deleting       timelib svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>> svn: Out of date: '/sesame/trunk/timelib' in transaction '10-1'
>
> It means that someone else has probably fiddled with the directory since
> your last update.  You should probably revert the move (which involves
> separately reverting the add and the delete it's composed of, and
> possibly also manually moving files around if you have other uncommitted
> changes), do an update of the entire parent directory (at least), and
> then try again.

I would run an svn log -r BASE:HEAD before doing the revert and see what has
changed, and then if necessary, do the revert.  Many times, you just need to
update and then commit.

Regards,
Blair

--