Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2008/07/31 22:01:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] Process for contribution of translated message files

The legal-discuss alias has discussed the process of contributing
localized message files to Derby. Two email threads touch this topic on
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200807.mbox/browser
:

  Blanket software grant
  Question about handling external updates to contributed files

I would like to try to summarize these threads:

1) There seems to be consensus that these files can be checked in under
a committer's ICLA. The committer would enjoy extra protection if the
contributing company's CCLA explicitly granted permission for these
contributions.

2) Although the localizations were prepared by people who have not
signed ICLAs, a commit-by-proxy of their contributions is allowed under
section 4 of the committer's ICLA. See
http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

3) It would be good to document these conclusions on a wiki page.

If the community agrees with these conclusions, then I propose to check
in the 10.4 localizations under my ICLA. In addition, I propose to

A) Capture this discussion on a wiki page

B) Point to that wiki page from my localization JIRA:

Please let me know whether you think this is acceptable.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: [DISCUSS] Process for contribution of translated message files

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

The CCLA causes a lot of confusion. Roy said it exceptionally well [1]:
> If you have permission from your company, you can contribute them under
> your own ICLA.  However, it is better for your sake (not Apache's) that
> you have a signed CCLA in place that formally says you have permission
> to commit stuff that is copyright the company.  Only one CCLA is needed
> for all such commits.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200807.mbox/%3c40D37BFE-4104-493D-91ED-63E181441F3C@gbiv.com%3e

> 2) Although the localizations were prepared by people who have not
> signed ICLAs, a commit-by-proxy of their contributions is allowed
> under section 4 of the committer's ICLA. See
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
>
> 3) It would be good to document these conclusions on a wiki page.
>
> If the community agrees with these conclusions, then I propose to
> check in the 10.4 localizations under my ICLA. In addition, I propose to
>
> A) Capture this discussion on a wiki page
>
> B) Point to that wiki page from my localization JIRA:
>
> Please let me know whether you think this is acceptable.

I agree -- it makes sense to handle the translated message files in this
way because this same set of files gets updated for (nearly) every release.

thanks, Rick,

 -jean

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks, Jean, for your agreement. I have summarized this discussion on
the following wiki page:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/LocalizingDerbyMessages

I have hung this page off the list of how-to's on the wiki page which
describes how to get involved with the Derby development community:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev#head-0b4bce25c16c9ea078848768e0cedca0b57df671

Please feel free to improve this summary and/or move it to a better place.

Thanks,
-Rick