Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/12 21:16:42 UTC

time for a reboot?

It has come to my attention that this project has
made no effort to maintain its list of PPMC members.
A best-effort was made by Gavin McDonald to construct
that list from the subscriber base to thrift-private@
which may be found here:

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/thrift

This project remains at a crossroads, and my personal
graduation vote based on the current trajectory would
not be favorable.

Apache projects are not cathedrals, they are bazaars.
The committers on the project are facilitators, not
gatekeepers.  Every person who has ever submitted a patch
to either jira or this mailing list should be encouraged by
the existing devs to become a committer on this project,
but that never happens here.  Instead people fork,
like what happened with c-thrift.  That is not goodness
from an Apache standpoint; it would be far better to
create a sandbox in the subversion tree for experimentation
by community members.

Trunk should be treated as Commit-then-Review. It is
a-ok to break it, and anyone running trunk in production
better be prepared to deal with the fallout of that
decision.

Look, cassandra came into Apache a year or so after
thrift did, and they have already graduated.  Part of
the reason why they have been successful where thrift
has not is because the Facebook devs there were not
allowed to place downward pressure on the community
the way they have here.  The sooner this community
starts routing around them, the more likely this
project has a chance of real success at Apache.

I have asked for special permission from my colleagues
in the Incubator to experiment with processes designed
to get out of your way in as far as it is possible,
so there can be no excuses as to why Thrift is not
succeeding except for the fact that the devs have
not done an adequate job of growing the community.
I expect that permission to be granted very soon,
and would like those committers on this project
who still care about it to take advantage of this
special opportunity before it's too late.  So far
Bryan is the only person I would trust to make an
IPMC member or serve as Chair for this project
should it pursue graduation, but if others start
showing more active interest I am more than happy
to consider them.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
> Todd has not recently changed employment.  He continues to work at
> Cloudera.
Right.  His contributions to Thrift were primarily on behalf of his previous
employer, Aimee Street.

--David

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
> Just today someone complained about a bug report taking over 1 year to be addressed.
That was a new feature, not a bug.  A lot of the "over 800 issues" have been.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
I understand what Todd is saying about stability and the cost of change, and
it's something that Rapleaf has encountered, too. However, I think stability
should be an *end goal*, not necessarily our current goal. I think we should
be aiming to make all the traumatic changes that we might need before we hit
1.0, and then proceed with greater caution. If this means that we should
change our processes to get out of the way of those who wish to make
exploratory changes now, then I'm for that.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I both respect and agree with your remarks.  With respect to the delay
> between considering someone for committership and actually becoming one,
> it's true that it is a process that spans several days if not weeks.
>  However
> we really aren't looking for drive-thru committers, we want people who
> will show sustained dedication to the project, spanning several months
> if not years (iow Todd's committership here so far hasn't been something
> I'd consider a success).  Remember it's community over code at Apache.

In my defense, when I was nominated for being a committer, I did say that my
plan was to help with the 0.2 release and then likely step back. As I think
is the case for every person who works on Thrift, Thrift is not a primary
responsibility. It seems your stance above indicates that the only
"successful" committers are those who spend substantial time on the project
every week - this seems counter to your earlier point that the bar for
committership is too high.

As a central piece of infrastructure, Thrift *should* be a slow moving
project. It would make me very nervous if it released more than a couple
times a year! As a random datapoint, I've heard from within Google that the
move from Protocol Buffers v1 to v2 was an incredibly disruptive change that
took more than a year to do throughout the organization. At a much smaller
scale, I've seen the upgrade from Thrift 0.1 to 0.2 burn about a man-week of
development time internally due to changes in the generated Java code -- so
you can see that releases with breaking changes have a large cost and hence
the team is reasonably cautious about any changes that might cause them.

The Apache mantra is "community over code", and in this case, the community
is voting that they want the code to not evolve rapidly. It's a stable piece
of infrastructure and should be treated as such. Perhaps those who have been
working on some more experimental changes would like to weigh in here if
they feel like their contributions have been unfairly treated?

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
Some patches are quite large; would it really make sense to send that much
content via email to an entire list?

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

> Is it possible to configure JIRA to include patch content in notification
>emails?

That would be a good question to address to infrastructure@apache.org.
The short answer is that I'm not aware of any way to do that, but
others might.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

RE: time for a reboot?

Posted by David Dabbs <dm...@gmail.com>.
> > sometimes that cuts against  having multiple people involved.
> Do you have a sense for why that is?
> I think switching to the mailing list for code reviews would
> be a pain, and I'd rather fix whatever problem prevents
> people from contributing to JIRA discussions
> (or switch to a real code review tool) than just toss  it.

If you are using JIRA, oss license I presume, then why not also use
Atlassian's Cruicible?
It too is available for open source projects/not-for-profits and integrates
with Jira.

http://www.atlassian.com/software/crucible/

Best,

David

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
> While it's convenient to keep discussion and issue all happening in
> jira,
I certainly agree with that.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
> [...]
> sufficiently.

I both respect and agree with your remarks.  With respect to the delay
between considering someone for committership and actually becoming one,
it's true that it is a process that spans several days if not weeks.  However
we really aren't looking for drive-thru committers, we want people who
will show sustained dedication to the project, spanning several months
if not years (iow Todd's committership here so far hasn't been something
I'd consider a success).  Remember it's community over code at Apache.

And review matters, absolutely right.  Whether it's before the commit
or after, it really is an essential component that cannot continue
to be ignored.   Note also that ANYONE can provide that review,
it's not an activity limited to current committers only.

Posted by ro...@bufferoverflow.ch.
commit-then-review vs. review-then-commit ... what about continuous
integration?

I'm sure Apache provides infrastructure to setup something like
CruiseControl or maven.
automated build and test can just happen after a commit, no manual
testing anymore!

by the way,
Thrift is a *great* piece of software and I'm sure that many companies
will prefer
Apache Thrift over Google Protocol Buffers, just as I have evaluated
for my employer.

Roger

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Todd,
>
> Would opening trunk to Commit-Then-Review and maintaining branches
> using Review-Then-Commit help? That would involve folks using stable
> branches in production...

Perhaps my perception is just skewed from my experience in closed source as
well as other open-source projects, but it's always been the opposite in my
experience. "Experimental" work would happen in branches, with "commit as
you go", and then if the experimental branch is proven to be worthy, it is
reviewed and merged into trunk. Thus trunk stays reasonably stable, which
makes it easier to cut releases without major stabilization work.

-Todd

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Todd,

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 08/12/2010 01:38 PM, David Reiss wrote:
>
>> Todd specifically told us that he did not care about getting commit
>> access.
>>

> The first proposal of Todd as committer I find was by Esteve Fernandez on
> 24 December 2008, to which you responded:
>
> "I don't think that is necessary.  As long as a committer can check in
> patches that are approved, I don't know of any reason that the primary
> reviewer needs to be a committer."
>
> Todd then said:
>
> "While I'm flattered to be nominated, I'll agree with David here --
> especially given the git-friendly workflow here, I've never had any issues
> getting patches in on the Erlang bindings or elsewhere."
>
> "Necessary" is not the same as "deserved" nor "cared about".
>

>  Todd seems to have lost interest in further work here.
>>>
>> This is because Todd changed jobs, and his new employer does not use
>> Thrift.
>>

> Todd has not recently changed employment.  He continues to work at
> Cloudera.
>
> Hey look, a thread about me!

The majority of my contributions were at my previous job, but I did get
committership and do the 0.2 release after joining Cloudera as Doug said.
Cloudera does use Thrift internally, so having a stable release out was
important for us.

I haven't been as involved in further releases because frankly, Thrift does
what it's supposed to do and does a good job of it. What the ASF seems to
see as a stagnating project seems to me to just be a mature one - Thrift has
a single purpose, achieves it effectively, and does a good job for lots and
lots of people including both my former and current employers. The major
issues I've run into (and seen coworkers run into) have had to do with the
release packaging and build, which we've improved a bit, and will improve on
the distribution side of things as people like Debian start packaging the
bits.

I don't have the data offhand, but I remember looking at some point last
year at the release velocity for similarly mature projects and found that
Thrift's is not out of the ordinary. For example, APR seems to have released
pretty infrequently in recent years, and most of the releases have had just
a couple of commits worth of changes. The actual commit velocity to Thrift
was much higher, last I looked. Although Thrift is young in the incubator,
it's important to realize that it was already a mature project when it
entered -- in fact it was a mature second-generation project, having grown
out of a previous system internal to Facebook. So lots of experimentation is
something that the community doesn't want to see happening in trunk - it's
hard to experiment on an infrastructure project in ways that won't break
APIs or wire protocols, and those are the two things that are most important
about the project.

On a side note, I am big -1 on commit-then-review. I've been told it's the
"apache way", but none of the Apache projects I've worked on (Hadoop,
Thrift, Cassandra) have been operated like that, nor have any of the
internal infrastructure projects I've worked on at any company larger than
10 engineers. It may make sense in certain projects, but in general it seems
unsafe, and I wouldn't really trust most code bases developed in this
fashion.

Thanks
-Todd

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Todd then said:

"While I'm flattered to be nominated, I'll agree with David here --
especially given the git-friendly workflow here, I've never had any
issues getting patches in on the Erlang bindings or elsewhere."

"Necessary" is not the same as "deserved" nor "cared about".

>> Todd seems to have lost interest in further work here.
> This is because Todd changed jobs, and his new employer does not use
> Thrift.

Todd has not recently changed employment.  He continues to work at Cloudera.

Doug

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by uncle mantis <un...@gmail.com>.
Get a Mac.

Sorry, i just had to contribute somehow :)

Regards,

Michael

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Michael Greene <mi...@gmail.com>.
The C# runtime builds and runs on Linux and OS X just fine, and I have used it on both.

Michael

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
I agree with this. Big +1 to making the test suite more comprehensive.

Re: time for a reboot?

Posted by uncle mantis <un...@gmail.com>.
I want to appologize about the Mac comment. I thought that this was a
different e-mail list when I wrote =(

Regards,

Michael

Re: time for a reboot?