Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/09 16:11:02 UTC

Under What Circumstances Would You Recommend the Use of EJB?

Thank you Harm.

I agree with your assessment of JBoss.  JBoss is also a great value (although I think they should
charge some nominal fee to insure the viability of their organization; see Alan Williamson's
August editorial in JDJ).  :)

Under what circumstances would you recommend the use of EJB?

Mike

Re: Under What Circumstances Would You Recommend the Use of EJB?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Mike Duffy wrote:
> Under what circumstances would you recommend the use of EJB?

This might help you out:

http://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=Is-EJB-Appropriate

If you are still undecided, you will probably want to read a book like
"Bitter EJB" to get the full picture. It is not a casual decision that
can be answered on a list like this.

No matter what you do, it's a very good idea to encapsulate the data
access behind a solid DAO layer. One that you can use "out of the box",
with or without EJB is the iBATIS DAO framework <http://ibatis.com>.
It's bundled with with SqlMap stuff, but you don't need to use SqlMaps
to use the iBATIS DAO.

The JPetstore3 example <http://www.ibatis.com/jpetstore/jpetstore.html>
shows how you can integrate the DAO framework with Struts, and also
switch back and forth between EJB and non-EJB implementations just by
changing a value in a properties file. Sweet.

HTH, Ted.

--
Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,