Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Priya Khanna <Pr...@infosys.com> on 2007/01/11 08:38:32 UTC

Accessing files from file server

Hi All,

         I am developing an application using struts and tomcat. In my
application I want to provide the functionality of download and upload
of files from server. But these files will not be on machine running
tomcat. It will be on file server.

First issue I am facing is that if I run tomcat using local service then
I am not able to access these files in my application. Though I have
added my computer name on which tomcat server is running to file server.
But if I run tomcat as a person who is in domain then I am able to
access these files.

Second issue is that - If I want to upload the files then I want to
check that user who is logged in to the application has write access or
not on file server. If not then he should get error message. My user
will be logged in to application as same user id as his/her domain user
id. But I am not sure how to achieve this.

If any one has pointer on this then please let me know.

Regds

Priya Khanna

RE: Accessing files from file server

Posted by "Hartrich, James CTR USTRANSCOM J6" <Ja...@ustranscom.mil>.
I believe what you need to do is start your tomcat service as a
tomcat-user who specifically has access to the file server.

[...]

This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original
message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this
e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are
unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every
reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any
damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You
should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or
attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content
of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or
from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.