Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org> on 2015/01/12 22:54:26 UTC

Re: Question on upper bound of column qualifiers for a Row HBASE-0.98

Moving to the user mailing list, dev in BCC.

Hi Gaby,

There is none fixed limitation for the max number of column qualifiers
(CQ). But you have to keep in mind that HBase will not split within a row.
An entire row will always stay in a single region. Therefore, if you row
can become very big (few GB), it might be bigger than your default region
max size, and will not be able to split.

Here again, there is no limitation for the size. You can have a single
region being 40GB with a single row. But that's not recommended. Better to
have a good balance.

HPH

JM