Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Justin Ross <jr...@apache.org> on 2013/06/17 19:16:06 UTC

Website update 6

http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-06-17/

Previous versions:
  Update 5:
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-05-24/
    http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/Website-update-5-td7593440.html
  Update 4:
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-05-10/
    http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/Website-update-4-tt7592756.html
  Update 3:
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-16/
    http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/Website-update-3-tt7591573.html
  Update 2:
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-04-03/
    http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/Website-update-2-tt7591046.html
  Update 1:
    http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/2013-03-26/
    http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/Website-update-tt7590444.html

Head version:
  http://people.apache.org/~jross/transom/head/

Changes:

  - Added selectors to cpp broker features
  - Added link to maven snapshot repo
  - Switched to using .htaccess for redirects
  - Simplified the steps to publish changes
  - Some scripting changes to adapt to using svnpubsub
  - Removed logo so it can be taken as a distinct question
  - Added highlighting of page-internal headings when linked
  - Added bug and enhancement queries for each component
  - Streamlined tab navigation on the search page

This update doesn't represent as big a change as past updates.
Instead, I'm closing things down in preparation for going live with
the new site.  I will start a vote thread on that question shortly.

Nonetheless, I will continue publishing updates as I've done.  Please
keep your comments and ideas coming.

Thanks!
Justin

RE: Website update 6

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
I see the same on Vista w/ IE8. Additionally, when I click on the "5.1.2" entry in the TOC (since that was the section everyone was looking at) the heading is above the viewable area so you can't tell you landed at the correct section.

Win7 and IE10 is fine on both counts.

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
I made an update to the event handling code that has fixed the jira
lookup on IE 8 in my testing.

For the curious: I've also root caused the "links on new lines"
problem.  IE 8 renders the site xml as html.  Normally that's fine,
but docbook uses empty anchor tags as link targets.  When I xmlize the
<this/> is an unclosed open tag.  I'm currently trying to coax my
xmlizer into leaving it as <this></this>.

I think this may also causing the problem that Steve saw.

Justin

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
Indeed!  Thanks Justin.  Having tried out the "transom" project that
backs this website, I believe it will be very easy to keep this site
fresh and relevant.

RE: Website update 6

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Woo-hoo!
Thanks, Justin!

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 19 June 2013 21:56, Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 19 June 2013 16:58, Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> seems
> >>
> >> I've added an attempted fix, a meta header that the internet says may
> >> have a positive effect.  Unfortunately, right now I don't have access
> >> to IE8; I can try to install it tomorrow.  Could you give the head
> >> site another try and let me know if there's any change?
> >
> > Nope - still seems to be broken :-(
>
> I believe I've got this fixed now.  I removed the standard template's
> xml declaration.  (It's still all xhtml).  I used browsershots.org to
> render the page on many browser versions, since I don't have access to
> a windows machine today.  With the latest change, it seems to render
> well enough all the way back to IE6.
>
> Justin

I gave it another look in IE8 and the site now renders, though it does so
with an error indicated and much of the styling for headings, navigation
highlighting, column layouts, fonts etc doesn't seem to be as intended.

In particular it is complaining about an object not having a method at Line
188 char 1 of site.js, which seems to be: window.addEventListener("load",
registerEventListeners, false);

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 19 June 2013 16:58, Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 7:17 AM, Robbie Gemmell
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > I had a quick lookand noticed a few issues:
> >
> > The site can't be used at all in IE8 as it loads up in XML view. This
> seems
> > like a blocker to me, as IE8 is apparently still one of the most used
> > browsers.
>
> I've added an attempted fix, a meta header that the internet says may
> have a positive effect.  Unfortunately, right now I don't have access
> to IE8; I can try to install it tomorrow.  Could you give the head
> site another try and let me know if there's any change?

Nope - still seems to be broken :-(

-- Rob

Re: Website update 6

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.