Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2018/07/23 19:18:33 UTC

Recent trend in JIRA management

There is a recent trend in JIRA management where a change being tracked by
one JIRA is committed only to master, or maybe master and branch-2, and
then the JIRA is left open. The fix versions may or may not be updated. The
biggest offender is Ted Yu but newer committers are also occasionally doing
it. Ted has no excuse, the rest is understandable.

Please be advised this makes release management difficult. The RM has to
look at every commit in the repository and then make sure JIRA reflects the
correct fix version. Otherwise the generated change log for the release
will be incorrect. If more patches are pending for other branches, and the
fix versions are not set correctly, then the RM may miss the patch and not
include it into the release.

This is the best practice:

1. Set the fix versions for all relevant branches on the JIRA
2. Assemble patches for all relevant branches on the JIRA
3. Commit all of the patches at once to all relevant branches
4. Mark the JIRA resolved

I understand there are a lot of branches now, and some changes require
backports. In this case, commit the patch at hand to the branches it will
apply to, then open a new JIRA (could be as a subtask) for the backport.
Make sure to set fix versions appropriately so the RMs will see it.

If our slipping JIRA discipline is not improved we will have incorrect
release change logs, fewer releases, releases missing changes they should
include, and other poor outcomes.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: Recent trend in JIRA management

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
If in your judgement that is what you think is best, that's fine. We are supposed to be doing minors more frequently after all. Mainly I am concerned about trunk being a dumping ground and the lack of rigor in setting fix versions and resolving JIRAs.

For a bug fix relevant for a release branch, though, if you as committer don't put the change into the release branch too and/or forget to update the fix version, then the bug fix may be ignored. This is especially true if the fix is only committed to trunk.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by Huaxiang Sun <hs...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
Better mention the release manager when you want to commit to the branch.
If no response in a day or so then just go head. At least for 2.1 you can
follow this rule.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.