Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Crucius, Wesley" <WC...@sandc.com> on 2004/05/11 15:57:47 UTC

Backup techniques

I need a quick clarification on backup procedures.

I have SVN running great and exposed via apache.  I don't yet have a
automated backup procedure, so I'm periodically doing it manually for
right now.  What I'm actually doing is stopping apache and then making a
directory copy of the repository directory to a folder of the form
\\<Win2K3_FileServerName>\SVN_repos_backups\20040511\ and then
restarting apache.  We never access these repository backups directly.
Other than inefficency and temporary unavailability of SVN/Apache, does
anyone see any problem?

Thanks,
Wes

Re: Backup techniques

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 10:57, Crucius, Wesley wrote:
> I need a quick clarification on backup procedures.
>
> I have SVN running great and exposed via apache.  I don't yet have a
> automated backup procedure, so I'm periodically doing it manually for
> right now.  What I'm actually doing is stopping apache and then making a
> directory copy of the repository directory to a folder of the form
> \\<Win2K3_FileServerName>\SVN_repos_backups\20040511\ and then
> restarting apache.  We never access these repository backups directly.
> Other than inefficency and temporary unavailability of SVN/Apache, does
> anyone see any problem?

No, no problem.  Other than what you said:  inefficiency and temporary
unavailablity of the repository.  Why not just run 'svnadmin hotcopy'
while the repository is live?  Why bother shutting down all access?