Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by shetc <sh...@bellsouth.net> on 2010/01/28 19:56:17 UTC

Re: Wicket VoiceXML framework?

Hi Nino,

I currently support an IVR system that uses an IBM proprietary technology
rather than standard VXML.
I have been tasked with determining the effort of refactoring our system to
use VXML.
I would love to use Wicket for this purpose. Ideally, there need to be
components that do standard
IVR behaviors like producing dates, times, currencies, etc. I am happy to
take the lead on this
but any support from the Wicket gurus would be very handy.

Steve

Re: Wicket VoiceXML framework?

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hehe, whats exactly what I've done at work with jbehave :) Seems our minds
are somewhat similar :)

Only problem are that people in the IVR business apparently do not always
see the value of automated testing.. Even though I've tried to explain the
obvious benefits.

We have something like:

A user dials in with customer number 1000 and pin 1234
Then the system plays hello.wav
Then the system prepares for 5 digit input
Then the user enters 1000

Posted by shetc <sh...@bellsouth.net>.
That's correct, Martijn. Our app currently uses the DT java beans technology
rather than VXML.

Re: Wicket VoiceXML framework?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Well we had an internal discussion about it and I was voted down in first
round :/ The other guys felt it would be competitive to our job, which I
didn't.

But I guess there's no problem in sharing my thoughts about it.

The idea was to have a modular application, managed by guice. VoiceIt in the
beginning would provide only a way to receive DTMF's, to keep it simple.
Your modules would consist of panels that implemented courtesy methods, so
in your special application you could add grammar support etc, this would be
configured by extending a special VoiceIt application similar to the Wicket
application.

So you would not program in the ordinary wicket way. But just use java and
the special panels (which where similar to ordinary wicket panels), I think
that could speed up development a lot.

In the future there would be to bonus options one was to be throwing in our
own custom db framework (where you can configure almost every thing). And
the big thing, integrating support for Eclipse VTP or alternately ripping
their ui (I've got permission for that).

This was some thoughts, I probably forgot something.

Oh and one could never know what could happen if you wrote off list to me.

Regards Nino

Posted by shetc <sh...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Yeah go ahead and shoot :)

And I think using wicket for basis of an VXML framework would be very handy.

Posted by shetc <sh...@bellsouth.net>.
I need to officially confirm this but I don't think there will be a problem
making it open.

Re: Wicket VoiceXML framework?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
we will be happy to help once you have specific questions and if you
are willing to make your work open

-igor