Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Christophe Lombart <ch...@sword-technologies.com> on 2003/11/05 21:59:44 UTC

Cache

Hi all,

I'm looking in the code where Slide is making some caching on
objectnode, revision descriptor, ....
I suppose Slide is making this kind of stuff. Can you point me to the
rigth code which is doing it ?

If caching is apply on Slide objects,

Is it possible to change chache parameters (size, ...) ?
How is synchronize with the stores ?
What king of object are cached ?
It is possible to disable the cache ?

Regards,
Christophe

Re: Cache

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Hi Christophe,

this is exactly what I asked myself before.

Currently, caching is done in StandardStore in the
org.apache.slide.store package in the share part. All kinds of objects
are stored except for content. Caching can be switched off for
individual underlying stores changing a method, but not by
configuration. I did this for some testing and can not recommend to
switch off caching, as things get *really* slow. A factor of 10 to 100
is realistic. This cache has write-thru characteristics, which means all
write operation go to the store as well. So, there is no special
synchronization needed (as would be needed with write-back).

Unfortunately, several people noticed many weakness of that
implementation independently of each other, including:
- Caching size can not be configured
- Content is not cached
- Caches often get cleared unjustified
- No real isolation of transactions
- No rollback of caching entries possible

That's way I decided to rewrite StandardStore with its caching calling
it ExtendedStore. It's finished now and works fine, but has not been
checked in, yet. I will do so as soon as I will be granted commit rights :)

This implementation could be the basis to implement binding and
searching, too.

Oliver