Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Patrick Reichelt <pr...@hs-mittweida.de> on 2015/12/15 09:40:07 UTC

Using Fonts on a Webbased Service

Hello,
is it allowed to provide the apache fonts under apache licence to
customers of my website, where they can customize cards e.g. by using
these fonts and buy the cards? And where and how do I have to show that
the fonts the customer uses is under apache licence? Sorry for using your
time. I want to be on the secure side.

Thanks in advance.

best regards

patrick

Re: Using Fonts on a Webbased Service

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
More to the point, do these fonts come from some Apache software project
that you have downloaded from an apache.org website?  Or are the fonts
from some other organization, but are provided under the Apache license?
 Many people use the Apache license for their software.

We can't give legal advice here.  But I can say that many other
organizations are doing things very similar to what you're describing,
and have no problems.  The Apache license is meant to allow third
parties and people like you to use software for virtually any purposes,
including for profit or by using or providing the software on a website.

Our license page provides some background as well:

  https://www.apache.org/licenses/

- Shane

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.