Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Avila <Mi...@sbcglobal.net> on 2005/10/27 23:22:56 UTC

[users@httpd] Upgrade to Apache 2.0.55

Re: [users@httpd] Upgrade to Apache 2.0.55

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 10/27/05, Michael Avila <Mi...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > I have Windows XP Apache 2.0.52 installed and want to upgrade to 2.0.55.
> > When I click on the msi file I am told to delete the existing version. If
> > I uninstall, what is deleted? I would want to keep the config file and
> > scripts and such. Why does it not overlay the current version and make any
> > necessary adjustments? I want to upgrade but I don't want to destroy
> > anything in the process, even if I have a backup. (Obviously, this is my
> > first Apache upgrade!

Given that you have a backup, you can simply uninstall and then
install the new version.  Your documents and config will be preserved.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Upgrade to Apache 2.0.55

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Michael Avila wrote:
>>I have Windows XP Apache 2.0.52 installed and want to upgrade to 2.0.55.
>>When I click on the msi file I am told to delete the existing version. If
>>I uninstall, what is deleted? I would want to keep the config file and
>>scripts and such. Why does it not overlay the current version and make any
>>necessary adjustments? I want to upgrade but I don't want to destroy
>>anything in the process, even if I have a backup. (Obviously, this is my
>>first Apache upgrade!)

The configuration/documents -are- retained, only the 'default' configs
(used to create httpd.conf, etc) and installed binaries are uninstalled.

If you had added in a third party module, such as mod_php, mod_aspdotnet
or whatever, those are not removed either.  Only files created by the
installer itself.  This is why you need to manually remove the Apache2
directory yourself, along with log files and configs.