Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jason Gilbreath <ja...@vanderbilt.edu> on 2004/03/29 15:20:19 UTC

id and last change date keyword not same time when expanded

I noticed that the Id keyword when expanded was showing up with the
wrong time.  I added the Last Changed Date keyword to the same file
just to test and it is showing up with the correct time.  Is there
a configuration step I am missing to get the two in sync?

Running subversion 1.0.1(r9023)

here is the example:

$LastChangedDate: 2004-03-29 09:04:32 -0600 (Mon, 29 Mar 2004) $
$Id: test.java 47 2004-03-29 15:04:32Z juser $

-jg

---------------------------------------
Jason Gilbreath
Information Technology Services (ITS)
System Development and Implementation Group
Vanderbilt University
Email:  jason.gilbreath@vanderbilt.edu

Re: id and last change date keyword not same time when expanded

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.
On 2004-03-29 09:20:19 -0600, Jason Gilbreath wrote:
> I noticed that the Id keyword when expanded was showing up with the
> wrong time.

It is the right time, but the UTC time (and please, don't change that!).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vi...@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International

Re: id and last change date keyword not same time when expanded

Posted by Jason Gilbreath <ja...@vanderbilt.edu>.
> Aside from personal preference (which is certainly a fine
> reason), is the current behavior causing you a big problem?
>
> -Karl

Nah, no problem at all (read as: yep, only a preference).  I just
wanted to see if it could be done.  Thanks to all who responded.

-jg

Re: id and last change date keyword not same time when expanded

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Jason Gilbreath <ja...@vanderbilt.edu> writes:
> Maybe I should have not used the words "wrong" and "in sync" when
> provided my example since that was misleading. :) I do understand that
> it is UTC vs my time zone ; however, I would like Id to display using
> my time zone as I would rather just use the Id keyword in place of
> Author, Last Changed Date, Last Changed Rev ....  Is there a way to do
> this?

Unfortunately there isn't a way right now.

Hmmm.  I can think of various strategies for fixing this (a new
property svn:dates-utc that tells keywords how to expand, for
example), but haven't really thought through the design and am not
sure it's important enough.

Posted by "Andrew A. Raines" <aa...@pobox.com>.
Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org> writes:

> IMHO, the file contents (for some revision) shouldn't depend on
> the client. So, the date should always be in UTC.

I tend to agree with this statement.  So, the question should
perhaps be: Why do Id and LastChangedDate differ?  Why not both be
UTC or both be localtime?

--
    aaraines@pobox.com (Andrew A. Raines)

Re: id and last change date keyword not same time when expanded

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@ntlworld.com>.
On Mar 29, 2004, at 16:20, Jason Gilbreath wrote:

> I noticed that the Id keyword when expanded was showing up with the
> wrong time.  I added the Last Changed Date keyword to the same file
> just to test and it is showing up with the correct time.  Is there a
> configuration step I am missing to get the two in sync?
>
> Running subversion 1.0.1(r9023)
>
> here is the example:
>
> $LastChangedDate: 2004-03-29 09:04:32 -0600 (Mon, 29 Mar 2004) $
                                         ^^^^^ Shows your time zone is 6
hours behind UTC

> $Id: test.java 47 2004-03-29 15:04:32Z juser $
                                        ^^ Z means UTC

> -jg

> Jason Gilbreath
> Information Technology Services (ITS)
> System Development and Implementation Group
> Vanderbilt University
> Email:  jason.gilbreath@vanderbilt.edu
--
Jeremy Pereira                             Tel: +44 (0)1252 401035
Senior Consultant                       Mobile: +44 (0)7884 265457