Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by mw...@apache.org on 2002/12/25 02:18:17 UTC

RE: Unatural Wiki Link (was: [Fwd: Wiki Wiki (has been set up)])

> > Of course, it would eventually be even better if the wiki could
> let you do
> > the equivalent of <a href="">Some text for the link</a> so that we don't
> > NeedToHaveTextAllJumbledTogetherForALink.
> Um, the whole point of a wiki is that it should be abnormally
> easy to create
> things such as new pages and links to them - the very basis of this is the
> concept of a WikiWord.

I don't want to make it hard to create new pages and link them.  I just
think that ThisIsVeryUnnatural in the web world.  What is wrong with wanting
to attach a wiki-like link to readable text?  I'm surprised that this has
not come up with wiki before.

Plus, it can still be a wiki link.  They already support
"[http://somehost/somelink ThisIsALink]".  Plus the wiki processor is
already on the lookout for other embedded tags like <pre>, <tt>, etc.  So,
going to the extra effort of calling out the text to attach a link to isn't
much of a leap, in my mind.

<wiki-a ref="NormalWikiLikeLink">The text to attach the link to</wiki-a>

would get processed into:

<a
href="http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?NormalWikiLikeLink">The
text to attach the link to</a>

If I was more proficient at perl I would have already made a patch.  But I'm
not, so I haven't.  Sorry, but perl is not my bag.  Now, if it was a JSP or
Java, that would be a different story...:-)

-Mark

Re: Unatural Wiki Link (was: [Fwd: Wiki Wiki (has been set up)])

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>would get processed into:
>
><a
>href="http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?NormalWikiLikeLink">The
>text to attach the link to</a>
>
>If I was more proficient at perl I would have already made a patch.  But I'm
>not, so I haven't.  Sorry, but perl is not my bag.  Now, if it was a JSP or
>Java, that would be a different story...:-)

PERL is just like JSP more or less (I like PERL better I think).  If
this were really that important to you, you'd do it.  PERL is easy to write.
What's more amusing is that from what it looks there is an equivilent
one character configuration fix ;-)  -- However, I think I'll be a prick
about this and make you at least find it and send me a patch just
because its good for you.

Source is here: http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheWiki

It took me all of 30 seconds to find.  I'll give you a boon, I searched
on the word "wiki" ;-)

-jAndy.NET.pl