Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Patrick Luo <lu...@trulia.com> on 2012/05/18 20:47:29 UTC

Is there a way to create user account and grant read only permissions?

My use case requires individual accounts for business users groups. Is there a way to mimic MySQL (or other database) to create users with read-only permissions? This avoid business user accidental table drop. Metastore has table ROLES but don’t see documentation on that. Much appreciated if anyone can point to the documentation or share your thoughts on this?

- Patrick

Re: Is there a way to create user account and grant read only permissions?

Posted by Ranjith <ra...@gmail.com>.
How are others setting up hive for use in production? I guess my real question how are many of us getting around these security gaps?

Thanks,
Ranjith

Posted by Bejoy Ks <be...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Ranjith

________________________________

Posted by Ranjith <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Luo <lu...@trulia.com>.
Thanks KS and others for thoughts and ideas.

I found an ok alternative may benefit others in the same situation. The reason for users account is mainly for business users. HUE is the GUI interface we deployed for non-technical users. User need account to access HUE which is the gateway for HIVE. It's not a perfect solution because user still can drop any table. Maybe can tighten the hdfs file permission with read-only. Need to test on that.

-Patrick

From: "Raghunath, Ranjith" <Ra...@usaa.com>>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 00:54:36 +0000
To: user@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>>