Posted to general@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2005/07/01 21:25:09 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Bylaw changes

There had been an earlier discussion on the PMC mailing list about
the desirability of modifications to the Logging Services bylaws that
would streamline some processes for the sub-projects other than log4j
which may encounter problems quorum issues on votes, particularly on
votes on release candidates.

The essence of my proposed remedy for the problem was to acknowledge
that since all the projects share a common heritage and domain, that
committers from other projects were competent to "pitch in" on
release candidate testing or other phases while not necessarily
maintaining an on-going development effort with the sub-project.  For
example, if log4cxx needed some additional testers to pass a vote to
raise a release to the PMC for review, the vote of a motivated PMC
member from another sub-project should be considered of some merit.
The same goal could be accomplished by just granting cross-sub-
project committer rights, but it seems cleaner to modify the voting
rules to provide some means for these votes to become binding when
the subproject is short of a quorum.  In any case, at least three
votes on the PMC would be needed to accept a release candidate, so if
there was ever any question about the viability of a release that had
extra help in the release candidate phase, it could be addressed there.

The following message contains comments on the diff of an draft  to
the current bylaws.  Based on comments on the PMC list, if we were to
move forward with that approach, I'd modify the sub-project level
votes so that PMC member votes are only binding when there are
insufficient votes for a quorum of sub-project committers.

However, it may be better to restart from either the Jakarta
Guidelines (http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guidelines.html) or a
proposed modifications to the Jakarta Guidelines (http://
jakarta.apache.org/site/proposal.html).  The "proposal" indicates
that it is a working draft, but there appears to have been no work on
it in over two years.  I've posted a message on
general@jakarta.apache.org (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-
general&m=112020092726359&w=2) about the status of proposal, though
there has not been any response yet.

Based on a quick read, I think it might be better to start with the
Jakarta Guidelines Proposal and tweak it.  The initial changes that
I'd propose is adding a PMC lazy approval/lazy consensus on new
committers which would preserve the PMC's responsibility for
controlling committer access but leaving the nomination and initial
vetting of committer candidates to the sub-project.  In addition, I'd
add a clause that would allow the votes of PMC members to be
considered binding of sub-project votes that fall short of a quorum
otherwise.

If that seems like a good approach, I'd like to add the Jakarta
proposal in the logging-site module, then modify it for the LS web
site environment (changing links et al), then open it for changes,
iterate and then to come up with a proposal for a formal PMC vote.

Begin forwarded message:

Re: [DISCUSSION] Bylaw changes

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 02 July 2005 03:25, Curt Arnold wrote:
> The same goal could be accomplished by just granting cross-sub-
> project committer rights, but it seems cleaner to modify the voting
> rules to provide some means for these votes to become binding when
> the subproject is short of a quorum.

Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't the Board seeking a long-term solution of TLPs
taking full responsibility of the entire codebase under its wings, and that
Jakarta is slowly going to be dismantled to this effect?

May take on that is that it is the intention that committers (which many
top-notch ASF member open says should be the same as the PMC members) of a
TLP should be responsible for the entire codebase, not only a particular
sub-project, which would then automatically solve this issue at LS simply by
adjusting committer authorization.

But again, I may have misunderstood something along the way. Perhaps a
clarification from the Board is in order.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [DISCUSSION] Bylaw changes

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> wrote:

> For example, if log4cxx needed some additional testers to pass a
> vote to raise a release to the PMC for review, the vote of a
> motivated PMC member from another sub-project should be considered
> of some merit.

This sounds like a serious misconception of the PMC's and the
committer's responsibilites.

The PMC is responsible for all releases, so the PMC members and only
the PMC members have binding votes.  It shouldn't matter whether a PMC
member is active on any codebase, the vote of that member not only
"has some merit", it is binding.  Votes of non-PMC members are
advisory at best.

That's why many people will tell you that all committers should be PMC
members.

> The "proposal" indicates that it is a working draft, but there
> appears to have been no work on it in over two years.  I've posted a
> message on general@jakarta.apache.org
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-
> general&m=112020092726359&w=2) about the status of proposal, though
> there has not been any response yet.

I think it is seriously out of date anyway.

In Jakarta we've made sure that every subproject has at least three
PMC members by growing the PMC.  That way we've ensured the quorum and
no "alien" PMC member is needed to make a release.  Honestly, there
are some subprojects who are not represented, mainly for lack of
committers (ORO and regexp for example), and in those cases some PMC
members have "helped out" in the past.  But if a subproject doesn't
manage to find three PMC members for a longer stretch of time, it is
in serious trouble anyway.

>> After rereading the bylaws so many times, I see that bylaws
>> discussions could be held on general@logging.apache.org.  I'll
>> leave it to Mark's discretion to forward this message to
>> general@logging.apache.org and move any discussion there.

A general ASF policy is that most discussion should be on public lists
- all discussion in the case of development decisions.  Private lists
should only ever by used for things that need to be private - like
security issues or discussions on people.

Stefan

RE: [DISCUSSION] Bylaw changes

Posted by Mark Womack <wo...@adobe.com>.
I'm sorry there hasn't been much movement on this.  I still need to look at
the Jakarta bylaws myself.  Does anyone else have an opinion on jut using
our current bylaws or the Jakarta bylaws as a starting point?  Personally, I
would like to start with our own for now and just change what we need to
change regarding the voting stuff.

Would it be possible to generate an html page that shows the bylaws with the
changes applied within it (strike out, additions, etc)?  I think that would
make it much easier for everyone to review.

We need to move on this in a timely manner, with appropriate review, so that
we can handle future voting the way we want to.

-Mark