Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Scott Severtson <ss...@digitalmeasures.com> on 2013/01/21 20:08:09 UTC

RFC5424Layout - include logger in structured data?

Our support team would specifically like to see the logger be included
in RFC-5424 structured data, as it is not currently included elsewhere
in the output.

Would it be appropriate to add a configuration parameter for
RFC5424Layout (and SyslogAppender) to specify a PARAM-NAME under which
the logger should be included?

However, this begs the question: what about other data that Log4J2 can
output (markers, threads, UUIDs, sequence numbers, etc)? Can we come up
with a general purpose means to specify fields which should be output as
part of the structured data?

I'll be happy to contribute an implementation, but thought it worth
discussing the design approach first.

Thanks,
--Scott