Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Brian Homrich <bh...@21stcentury.net> on 2000/03/03 00:21:04 UTC

Tomcat 404 errors

Greetings,

I've got an odd situation that if anyone has some insight into the
problem
would help me greatly.

Back in December, I installed the 3.0.0 Tomcat via an rpm that I found
after
learning about Tomcat. (I can't find a link to the rpm now...)
At the time I installed it onto a SuSE 6.2 distribution, where,
everything
worked, and I did some prototyping of some servlets for a customer.
The integration with Apache worked, as did the native HTTP server, and
things were grand...

Last week, I wiped the machine, and installed RedHat 6.1.  (Don't
ask...)
I still had the tomcat 3.0.0 rpm, so installed it.
I've tried both the early access version of the Sun XML library as well
as the release version. (jaxp 1.0ea and 1.0)  neither makes any
difference.

I started tomcat using the startup.sh.... everything appears kosher at
first glance:  Messages configuring the default services, and the two
configured connection handlers.

Using the http server via the 8080 port, I get:

-- html: ok,  examples page, all docs work...
-- servlets:  "404 No detailed message" errors for any servlet.

-- jsp:  I've only tried a couple, (I've got a really small server, so
compiles take
a LONG time), but they seem ok.

I've made no changes to the configuration, it's straight from the rpm.

I've read the FAQ, and I'm not in any of the situations described there.

Since I'm getting html and jsp, I don't think the config is corrupt...

Q:  Any ideas what might be happening?

Q:  Is there a way to enable logging/status messages from the classes in
the server?
    (I'll try to figure this out, but it would greatly improve my
chances if the server
    told me what it was doing at any level...)

Thanks in advance...

Brian Homrich

Re: Tomcat 404 errors

Posted by Derek DeMoro <dd...@home.com>.
Hey All,
   I'm having a problem with request.getRemoteUser() using Apache
Authentication.  Is this
a known bug?

Derek