Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/02 17:09:56 UTC

How Does JDeveloper Compare with Java Studio Creator

Oracle came to the Austin JUG on Tuesday night and gave a very cool presentation on JDeveloper for
JSF development.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how JDeveloper compares with Sun's Java Studio Creator?

Does anyone have any links for objective third party comparisons?

Are there any other choices that should be seriously considered.

Thx.

Mike

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How Does JDeveloper Compare with Java Studio Creator

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 3/2/06, Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Darn.....
>
> Does JSC have a component library that compares favorably with ADF Faces?

Color me biased :-), but ...

Creator 2 does indeed come with a component library above and beyond the
standard ones.  It's smaller than the ADF one (about 40 components), but
they cover a lot of the same functional territory, and match up reasonably
well to their ADF counterparts.

Mike

Craig

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, JDeveloper does support MyFaces as a custom taglib,
with visual editing, no need for any bonus config files.  There's
extra metadata you can add to improve the editing experience,
which is the basis of JSR 276 (this metadata should be
standardized), but you don't need any of it.

I don't know why JSC doesn't work with Tomahawk.
I know that at least some of its troubles with ADF Faces
were some rather annoying restrictions on component
development - it largely insists that they must follow the
bean standard to the absolute letter.  (This may be
obsolete, since I haven't tried JSC 2).

But I personally use Emacs. :)

-- Adam

Posted by Udo Schnurpfeil <ud...@schnurpfeil.de>.
The EAP build 5175 of IntelliJ has JSF support.
It's not ready-made, but it looks promising :-)

Udo

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Ok

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Yee CN schrieb:
> Eclipse + myEclipseIDE is performing OK. For one thing eclipse is not
> opening every file you have - only the ones you left opened in your last
> session. For that matter starting up time is rather independent of the size
> of the project.
>
> In my 3yr old notebook eclipse + myeclipse + BIRT starts up in around 20
> seconds.
>
> Full recompilation takes forever. JSP/JSF validation is the culprit. I have
> 50+ xhtmls - and it takes the order of 10min to compile.
>
> Regards,
> Yee

Well you can turn off some of the validation, to speed things up, but
generally JSP validation is somewhat rough on MyEclipse it is not the
fastest regarding jsp validation.

I have a project with several hundred til one thousand jsp files. A full
recompile takes a few minutes, but luckily this does not happen too
often (only at a clean or full refresh)
As for stability MyEclipse is pretty much one of the most stable of all
available ones. I am using it all the time on several different techs,
the JSF editors are lacking currently however.

As for the speed and the JSF editors I have hopes that 5.0 will bring a
lot of things onto the table. First it will be WTP 1.0.1 based so mixing
it with other plugins will be possible finally, also one of their
constant improvement requests (they drive development upon requests in
their surveys) is the improvement of the jsf editing capabilites, so
they work on it.

RE: How Does JDeveloper Compare with Java Studio Creator

Re: Anybody using IBM's I18N JSF Components?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
I ran across that a while ago on AlphaWorks and decided not to bother
with it due to the potentially troubling licensing.

Wayne

AW: How Does JDeveloper Compare with Java Studio Creator

Posted by Matthias Kahlau <mk...@web.de>.
Hi!

The following Web pages may provide a good start when searching for JSF IDEs
or plugins:

http://www.jsfcentral.com/products/ides/

http://www.jsfcentral.com/products/plugins/

Regards,

Matthias

Posted by Matthias Kahlau <mk...@web.de>.
> It was something like the method behind jsp:include taking a string
> parameter and a boolean in some library, but internally in OC4J not or
> so.

I only use the include directive, and I have no problem.

Regards,

Matthias

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I see.

Posted by Matthias Kahlau <mk...@web.de>.

Posted by Jurgen Lust <Ju...@UGent.be>.
This is a problem we had with OC4J as well, although it was the previous
version, 10.1.2.
When compared to JBoss, it would take a very, very long time to deploy
an application, especially when EJBs were involved, sometimes at least
10 times as long.
That's one of the main reasons we eventually switched back to Eclipse
and JBoss, even though JDeveloper does have nicer JSF features.

Jurgen

Posted by Legolas Woodland <le...@gmail.com>.
Martin Marinschek wrote:
> Thing = embedded OC4j in JDeveloper.
>
> I didn't try JSC so far - would the performance be better there? Any
> experiences?
>
> regards,
>
> Martin

No performance is not better there.
you will hang for ever in case that you open a project with 200 jsp files.
best IDE that i saw for large projects is RAD (Rational application
developer) it handle a ~150 page Struts application easily.
I think using tomcat is far better in development time , it starts and
stops faster than any other Apps.
but you can use Tomcat if you have no EJB  stuff...

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Yee CN schrieb:
> Is there any supports for Facelets in JDeveloper or JSC? I am using
> MyEclipse – and I am seriously looking for an alternative.
>

> Regards,
>
> Yee

There is only one IDE I am aware of with some facelets support, and that
one is Exadel. Given the bumpy ride this IDE has given me I would
recommend to do some serious testing before using it.
(Most bugs revolved around a flakey WTP version they were using, but still)
Exadel itself is nice in its JSF editors but they had several versions
which were extremely problematic, in the past.

RE: How Does JDeveloper Compare with Java Studio Creator

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 3/3/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 3/3/06, Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why can't JSC just run the component and actually let it render
> > itself by default?  I know that's what JDeveloper does, and
> > it works well.
>

>  Creator does that too, and it definitely works well ... the only *required*
> additional code is a BeanInfo class (see the JavaBeans API) that lets the
> component developer describe the component to the tool (for example,
> declaring that for the "style" property, use the nice CSS Style editor
> instead of just a string editor on the property sheet).
>

> > As a component developer (I've never worked on JDeveloper itself
> > at all, to be explicit), I really dislike the idea of writing a bunch of
> > extra Java code for all my components.  Supporting optional Java
> > code when renderers can't render in design time (graphs, etc.) is
> > a great feature, but you shouldn't force component developers to
> > write anything for the common case.
>

>  Writing dynamic behavior is possible, but not required.  It's up to the
> component developer to decide if you want to make your component behave in
> interesting ways at design time or not.  Examples we have implemented in the
> Creator components include:
>
>  * When you drop a Drop Down List component onto the page,
>    also create a helper bean for the options and bind the component
>    to it.
>
>  * When you have a Label component bound to an input component
>    via the "for" property, and you change the "id" of the input component,
>    respond to a property change event and change the "for" attribute
>    on the Label component as well so that it stays in sync.
>
>  * Do not allow a parameter (<f:param>) to be dropped except
>    in a context where it is relevant (such as inside an output link).
>
>  All of this stuff is optional, but provides you a way to improve the life
> of the users of your compoinents at design time, without messing up how they
> operate at run time.
>
>  By the way, the API we provide to component developers to make this
> possible has also been submitted to the JCP process
> (http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=273), so hopefully we can
> see a future world where a component developer can write design time
> behavior like this for more than one tool, instead of having to deal with
> each tool's individual APIs.

FYI, JSR 276 (http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=276) is a complimentary
JSR that takes a metadata-driven, JSF-specific approach, instead
of the Java code, generic JavaBean approach of 273.  Both can
work together.  (I kinda like 276 more; I'm guessing Craig likes
273 more.  Just a hunch. ;) )

-- Adam

Re: How Does JDeveloper Compare with Java Studio Creator

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com>.
Darn.....

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Legolas Woodland <le...@gmail.com>.
Mike Duffy wrote:
> Thx Werner.
>
> Do you know if Java Studio Creator supports MyFaces and Tomahawk?
>
> Mike

It does not support MyFaces and Tomahawk in its designer.
so you can not import them into JSC and use them in its page designer ,
until you make some required files that represent each myfaces component
in design time.
it name is compLib , maybe Carig can explain more

Posted by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com>.
Thx Werner.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.