Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Devin Fisher <de...@perfectsearchcorp.com> on 2016/08/18 17:33:41 UTC

nifi.sensitive.props.key from external source

We are looking to deploy nifi as part of an appliance. Normally, we use
etckeeper [1] to maintain, track and backup our configuration across the
board. Etckeeper puts configuration files into a git repo. I would like to
store nifi configuration in the same way but I'm concerned about storing
the sensitive properties key there along with the flow.xml.gz. I would like
to store that key somewhere else and load it in at start up time.  Any
thoughts on how that could be done.  Ultimately, I just want is to not back
up the key with the flow.xml.gz (which has the encrypted data). That way if
someone gets a hold of the backup it would not trivial to decrypt the
sensitive data in flow.xml.gz.

I thought I might be able to do this by adding a custom java.arg to the
bootstrap.conf that would point to an environment variable.

Something like:
java.arg.99=-Dnifi.sensitive.props.key=$NIFI_SENSITIVE_PROPS_KEY

But I'm not sure if System properties can stand in for nifi.perperies
values and if the boot loader launches nifi in such a way to use
environment variables.

[1] https://github.com/joeyh/etckeeper

Re: nifi.sensitive.props.key from external source

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@gmail.com>.
Devin,

I am working on a PR to support this. I hope to have it completed by tomorrow.

NIFI-1831 has a description of the task, PR 834 has my current changes.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com