Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michele Emmi <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2003/05/09 14:34:06 UTC

Way Off Topic - Site Maintenance

Hi,
I manage several intranet sites that I have to perform regular maintenance
on (make changes, war, and then install to server).  My customers would like
to be able to add their own files to the site.  My thought is to keep them
out of the web server (they may not have much technicle abiltiy) and have
them to put there documents on a file server but, I don’t want to have to go
into the site to add the links.

Does anyone know of / or have a solution where I can generate an html or jsp
which lists and links the files available from a Window’s directory?  Or,
maybe have better solution to the problem?  I am looking for a java solution
to run from server side when the page is requested, not from the file
directory using a Perl / Kron solution.

Thanks for your help!
Michele

Re: Way Off Topic - Site Maintenance

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
My solution to this is to store the files wherever you want, and then store
that location in a database table with a unique key when the file is
uploaded to the system.

Then, generating your display page of the available files is simply a
database call.  Users don't even need access to the filesystem if they need
to download the files later, the files can be in a protected area (like
under WEB-INF) which means that you just write a simple servlet that reads
the file from its location and spools it out to the browser as needed.

John