Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net> on 2018/06/28 07:14:11 UTC

Me too, 3 months sounds good and makes us competitive to e.g. IntelliJ. VS Code has once a month (This is my personal Dream but I know, that this is not doable, with our process, netcat, etc.). 6 Months is way to Long. Remember, that we don’t have only Java, so to make a release only when a new JDK is coming out, is inacceptable. Because we have C/C++, JS, HTML, CSS, PHP etc. etc. So please think out of the box, NetBeans is not a Java DIE anymore for years.

We have patch Levels which is great but for new Features, I don’t know whether the patch Level is working.

So Long Story short: 3 months, IMHO.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Cool, seems the general consensus is 3 months, and so lets look at what the
plan for those 3 months could be:

I've updated my suggestion to show how I think a 3 month cycle would work:

Day 0-90: Development Continues and takes place in branches - as normal
Day 30: dev mailing list agrees to initiate a release. PR's not merged into
master at this time are identified and merged/reviewed as needed &  Code
Branched into specific release Branch & Jenkins updated
Day 30: NetCat Announced + Week of signups
Day 30-36: New and Noteworthy page created/updated (Useful for NetCat
process to see what new features they need to update their test specs
with) + Branding changes in the branch, etc...
Day 37: Test Spec Review Starts
Day 44-51: Last of the PR's are merged into the release branch(and master)
Day 44-51: Release Candiate 1 is Built & NetCat Testing Phase Starts
Day 74-81: Testing Ends (roughly 30 days of testing?)
Day 81: 72 Hour NetCat Community Acceptance Vote (use to be a survey, but I
assume now it needs an email vote)
Day 85: 72 Hour PPMC Vote
Day 89: 72 Hour IPMC Vote
Day 94: Release

I might be wrong here, but when we come out of incubation, we dont need the
IPMC vote so we could be releasing on day 89, then...

Regards

John