Posted to dev@seatunnel.apache.org by liwei li <hi...@gmail.com> on 2022/05/18 15:35:56 UTC

[DISCUSS][Feature][connector] Standardize plugin name #1694

Hi, guys

I got the ticket of #1694
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel/issues/1694> (Standardize
plugin name)  in the issuse list.

The description of that:

Right now, there are some plugins have different name in different engine.
> e.g. Kafka source connector in Spark is kafkaStream and in Flink is
> KafkaTableStream, it's needed to standardize the plugin name.
> And the paramenters are also different in some plugin. e.g. the jdbc sink
> connector has parameter user in Spark engine, and has username in Flink
> engine, but these have the same mean.

> For better to maintain and integrate in the future, it's needed to
> standardize the plugin name and parameters. This will break the
> compatibility, but it's easy to achieve in the early project.

I raised this discussion mainly because the issues will break compatibility
between releases.

In my humble opinion, we mainly have the following two ways:

1. Directly unify the name of each plugin name and parameters.
As described above, this is easier to achieve because we were in an early
version of the project. But it does not follow the convention of
maintaining compatibility between smaller versions.

2. Deprecated the old name and add a new one to achieve unity.
The new parameter has high priority, and when both the old and new are
used, the new wins. Deprecated parameters can be removed in larger upgrades.

Look forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Liwei Li
hililiwei@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS][Feature][connector] Standardize plugin name #1694

Posted by Zongwen Li <zo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Liwei,

I also prefer the second way.

Best,