Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "OWCZAREK, Chris" <Ch...@sema.co.uk> on 2001/06/12 17:50:08 UTC

Applet authentication problem when using Apache+Tomcat

We are using Tomcat to return a page containing an applet. Access to the
page requires web server authentication. When the user accesses the page
they are prompted for a username / password as expected. Once the applet
downloads, the user is prompted again for a user name password at the point
when the applet tries to access any resource (file, class, etc.) from the
base URL of the applet (the URL from which the applet was downloaded). This
only happens for the first time the resource is accessed. A few points worth
mentioning are:
a) The second user name / password dialog is a Java dialog, not a browser
dialog
b) No valid user name / password is actually required. Supplying empty
values is sufficient to get authorised.
c) Our requests are being routed through Apache to Tomcat. Using Tomcat
standalone works fine.

Can anyone suggest why the seconds dialog appears and how to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Owczarek
Sema Telecoms
Trafalgar House
Richfield Avenue
Reading RG1 8QA
England

Sema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the Sema UK
Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.

Re: Applet authentication problem when using Apache+Tomcat

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.
At 04:50 PM 6/12/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Can anyone suggest why the seconds dialog appears and how to get rid of it?

I had that happen to me once. It's some kind of network
config problem. Is the server a DHCP client or something?
Also make sure your network config stuff is correct in
server.xml or your web server's config.