Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by bbarker <bb...@prologic-inc.com> on 2007/04/20 18:27:38 UTC

Question Regarding Pub/Sub

I am relatively new to ESB and am looking at potential technologies to solve
some problems I am currently working with.  I read that in general an ESB
provides publish and subscribe capabilities.  Is ServiceMix capable of
publish and subscribe? If so how much information must be known about the
subscribers ahead of time? I have gone through this website and these forums
a good deal, and if I have missed information that is available I am sorry.

What I am ultimately looking for is a way to make subscriptions with my
service and receive the published updates back on a client without knowing
information about what that client ahead of time.  The web service that I
will be calling to start the subscription process is known at design time,
but I need to have multiple clients and I won't know anything about who they
are at design time. Is this sort of thing possible through ServiceMix?

Re: Question Regarding Pub/Sub

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I you need to publish and subscribe dynamically, you will have to
use the WS-Notification component
(http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/servicemix-wsn2005.html).
There are also other ways to do publish / subscribe, mainly by
using a pure JMS layer
(http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/servicemix-jms.html),
or by using some built-in feature
(http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/publish-subscribe-routing.html).
However this one does not work well with new standard JBI components,
and can only be used by the lightweight container.

On 4/20/07, bbarker <bb...@prologic-inc.com> wrote:

> I am relatively new to ESB and am looking at potential technologies to
> solve
> some problems I am currently working with.  I read that in general an ESB
> provides publish and subscribe capabilities.  Is ServiceMix capable of
> publish and subscribe? If so how much information must be known about the
> subscribers ahead of time? I have gone through this website and these
> forums
> a good deal, and if I have missed information that is available I am
> sorry.
>
> What I am ultimately looking for is a way to make subscriptions with my
> service and receive the published updates back on a client without knowing
> information about what that client ahead of time.  The web service that I
> will be calling to start the subscription process is known at design time,
> but I need to have multiple clients and I won't know anything about who
> they
> are at design time. Is this sort of thing possible through ServiceMix?

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
Principal Engineer, IONA
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/