Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Filippo Balicchia <fb...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/29 16:54:32 UTC

zeppelin on k8s

Hi,

I'm trying to execute a tiny Spark application in k8s from Zeppelin. In
according with documentation
https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/quickstart/kubernetes.html,
after build my zeppelin image manually from master `44a49fdf68ecc` deploy
with zeppelin-server.yaml but when I try to run simple code I'm
experiencing the following
org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.InterpreterException: java.io.IOException:
Error from server (NotFound): pods "spark-enjtgm" not found

at
org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreter.open(RemoteInterpreter.java:134)
at
org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreter.getFormType(RemoteInterpreter.java:298)
at org.apache.zeppelin.notebook.Paragraph.jobRun(Paragraph.java:424)
at org.apache.zeppelin.notebook.Paragraph.jobRun(Paragraph.java:74)
at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.Job.run(Job.java:172)
at
org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.AbstractScheduler.runJob(AbstractScheduler.java:121)
at
org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.RemoteScheduler$JobRunner.run(RemoteScheduler.java:159)

It seems that launcher doesn't create a pod then when try to make a spark
action it thrown an exception.
Could you please provide me some tips to understand what I miss in my conf?

Thanks for help

--Filippo

Re: zeppelin on k8s

Posted by moon <mo...@zepl.com>.
Hi,

I think it is a problem related to 'kubectl' client version.
Zeppelin Kubernetes Launcher internally call 'kubectl' command in the
container and I guess you can find logs such as

status: ERROR, exception: null, result: %text
org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.InterpreterException: java.io.IOException:
error: error validating "STDIN": error validating data: unknown; if you
choose to ignore these errors, turn validation off with --validate=false

as well. If it is the case, you can change the following lines

https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/blob/a15b8f62c3d55197b798c581594a91e9e5220b32/scripts/docker/zeppelin/bin/Dockerfile#L97-L101

to something like

ADD
https://storage.googleapis.com/kubernetes-release/release/v1.16.3/bin/linux/amd64/kubectl
/usr/local/bin/kubectl

RUN chmod +x /usr/local/bin/kubectl

and install a particular version of Kubectl.
Also, please feel free to create a pull-request if necessary.

Thanks,
moon