Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Prasad, Rahul B (STSD)" <ra...@hp.com> on 2007/08/30 07:05:35 UTC

Need info on IPv6 support for Tomcat in RHEL and SLES distros

Hi All,

I need information on whether IPv6 is supported on Tomcat for the
following distros:

Redhat Enterprise Edition Linux 4 (base version) (Tomcat 4.1)

Redhat Enterprise Edition Linux 5 (base version) (Tomcat 5.5)

SuSE Enterprise Linux Server 9 (base version)  -

SuSE Enterprise Linux Server 10 (base version) (Tomcat 5.0)

I am mailing this after searching through the Tomcat apache archives,
Red Hat docs, to no avail.  I would be glad if you could help me on
this.

Thanks in advance.

Rahul Prasad B
Hewlett Packard
Bangalore

"The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the
necessary may speak." - Hans Hoffman

Re: Need info on IPv6 support for Tomcat in RHEL and SLES distros

Posted by Lionel Crine <lc...@linagora.com>.
Hi all,

On Linux, IPv6 comes with the the kernel. You can either activated or
not during configuration of it.
This can be done since 2.4 version.

So distributions with recent kernels don't have trouble with it because
there are released with 2.6 kernel and with IPv6 activated by default.
Be careful, "activated" means you can either use it or not.

Since 1.4 sdk (sun), you can code java taking care of IPv6 in your
application.

In the opposite way, sometimes IPv6 with JVM is bothering us and so we
use this option :  -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Finally, Tomcat is just a container for application and, as mention by
Mark, application may be patch to work.

Lionel

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
Well.  That depends on what the application does.  An application
which makes no assumptions about the size of an address and does not
inspect or process addresses in any way should not care whether it is
dealing with IPv6.  Things like the RemoteAddrValve should be checked
carefully before depending on them to be unaffected.

(RemoteAddrValve itself shouldn't be a problem, but your patterns
might be, and so might the JVM's treatment of v4 vs. v6 addresses.)

There are also URI manipulation subtleties.

I expect that *most* applications won't care -- the spec. writers seem
to have done a thorough job.  But I wouldn't be surprised to find that
there are applications which will need some fixing for v6.

Have a look at this for starters:

  http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/net/ipv6_guide/index.html

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.

Re: Need info on IPv6 support for Tomcat in RHEL and SLES distros

Posted by Sonal Goyal <so...@gmail.com>.
Yes, thanks. Extending further, if a JVM is available for an OS, and that OS
supports IPv6, the JVM will be supporting IPv6.

In answer to Rahul's question:
1. Does the OS support IPv6?
2. Is there a JVM available for that OS?

If answer to both of the above is yes, a Tomcat install on that OS will
support IPv6.

Sonal

On 8/30/07, Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:

> > From: Sonal Goyal [mailto:sonalgoyal4@gmail.com]
> > Subject: Re: Need info on IPv6 support for Tomcat in RHEL and
> > SLES distros
> >
> > I was thinking that if the OS supports IPv6 and a Tomcat
> > distro is available for that OS, IPv6 would automatically
> > be supported by Tomcat.
>
> Tomcat, since it's pure Java, is independent of OS or any other platform
> characteristic - providing there's a JVM available for the platform of
> interest.  If the OS and the JVM support IPv6, Tomcat does so as well.
>
> - Chuck

Thanks and Regards,
Sonal

RE: Need info on IPv6 support for Tomcat in RHEL and SLES distros

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Sonal Goyal [mailto:sonalgoyal4@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Need info on IPv6 support for Tomcat in RHEL and
> SLES distros
>
> I was thinking that if the OS supports IPv6 and a Tomcat
> distro is available for that OS, IPv6 would automatically
> be supported by Tomcat.

Tomcat, since it's pure Java, is independent of OS or any other platform
characteristic - providing there's a JVM available for the platform of
interest.  If the OS and the JVM support IPv6, Tomcat does so as well.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Need info on IPv6 support for Tomcat in RHEL and SLES distros

Posted by Sonal Goyal <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I was thinking that if the OS supports IPv6 and a Tomcat distro is available
for that OS, IPv6 would automatically be supported by Tomcat.  Or is there
more to it than meets the eye(and I am grossly mistaken) ?

Sonal

On 8/30/07, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Thanks and Regards,
Sonal

Re: Need info on IPv6 support for Tomcat in RHEL and SLES distros

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.