Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Tony Burton <TB...@SportingIndex.com> on 2013/01/18 16:54:22 UTC

HWI use on AWS/EMR

Hi,

I'm trying to get HWI running and accessible from an Amazon Web Services EMR instance. I've hit a blocker early on though, and the documentation is less than illuminating. Can you share any experiences you have had? Specifically, here's what I'm curious about.

- Running on AWS. I've created a Hive job flow on AWS, edited hive-default.xml (in /home/hadoop/.versions/hive-0.8.1/conf) and changed the hive.hwi.war.file to lib/hive-hwi-0.8.1.war.
- HWI starts up fine, but when I try to connect with http://ip-XX-AAA-BBB-CCC.eu-west-1.compute.internal:9999/hwi, I get a timeout message, in Firefox it's "The connection has timed out - The server at ec2-54-247-61-206.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com is taking too long to respond".

Has anyone successfully connected to HWI running on an AWS EMR instance? From the same browser I can connect to HWI on a local Ubuntu box.

Thanks!

Tony

Please consider the environment before printing this email or attachments

This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, then the dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by replying by email and then delete the email completely from your system.  Neither Sporting Index nor the sender accepts responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or opened.  It is the responsibility of the recipient to scan the email and no responsibility is accepted for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of this email.  Sporting Index Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 2636842, whose registered office is at Gateway House, Milverton Street, London, SE11 4AP.  Sporting Index Ltd is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no. 150404) and Gambling Commission (reg. no. 000-027343-R-308898-001).  Any financial promotion contained herein has been issued
and approved by Sporting Index Ltd.

Outbound email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM

Re: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Dean Wampler <de...@thinkbiganalytics.com>.
Yes, this is straightforward to set up in Putty.  Ariel, thanks for
providing the details I was too lazy to mention ;)

One flaw with this approach is that only your machine will have access to
HWI. That is, the port is forwarded only to your machine. Making the ports
public on the master node means anyone on the interwebs can see it. You can
also set up security groups in AWS so that only specifically authorized
people can access the ports. That's a bit involved...

dean

RE: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Tony Burton <TB...@SportingIndex.com>.
Hi Nitin (and others who have contributed)

Thanks again for the suggestions - however my original objective was to investigate HWI as an alternative to hive in CLI mode for less techie analysts to get their hands on data in S3. At the moment it's easier for them to start an EMR instance running hive than it is to spawn instances from other instances with the appropriate security group; so I'm letting them carry on with the former for now.

Tony

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

RE: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Tony Burton <TB...@SportingIndex.com>.

________________________________

Re: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

RE: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Re: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Ariel Marcus <ar...@openbi.com>.
Hey Tony,

RE: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Tony Burton <TB...@SportingIndex.com>.

Re: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Ariel Marcus <ar...@openbi.com>.

RE: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Re: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Ariel Marcus <ar...@openbi.com>.
Hey Tony,

RE: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Tony Burton <TB...@SportingIndex.com>.
Hi Ariel,

Re: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Ariel Marcus <ar...@openbi.com>.
Hey Tony,

RE: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Tony Burton <TB...@SportingIndex.com>.
Thanks for the quick reponse Dean.

Confirmed that http://ec2-XX-AAA-BB-CCC.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com gives the same timeout.

Doesn't specifying http://<hostname>:9999<http://%3chostname%3e:9999> override the requirement for port 80 being open?

Is ssh tunnelling the same as the process described by Ariel in the next reply?

Re: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Posted by Dean Wampler <de...@thinkbiganalytics.com>.

--
*Dean Wampler, Ph.D.*