Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Mike Personick <mi...@dayzero.io> on 2022/08/09 17:12:13 UTC

[DISCUSS] Add an "evaluationTimeoutBehavior" to complement "evaluationTimeout"

Currently, "evaluationTimeout" has implied ERROR semantics - providers only
have one choice for how to handle the timeout - return an error to the
caller. We would like to add another choice of timeout semantics - return
partial results to the caller, whatever can be calculated before the
timeout. This would be very useful for pathfinding queries - just calculate
whatever paths you can within some time limit.

I would like to add another token "evaluationTimeoutBehavior", that lets
providers define custom semantics for what happens at timeout on a
per-query basis using .with(). "Error" being the default, but allowing for
other possibilities, such as "PartialResults".
I will assume a lazy consensus and proceed with this change if there are no
objections in the next 72 hours.

Here is the JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TINKERPOP-2783

Thanks,