Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk> on 2000/01/16 20:21:23 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr configure.in

sascha@hyperreal.org wrote:

> sascha      00/01/16 10:20:57
>
>   Modified:    src/lib/apr configure.in
>   Log:
>   Inherit thread flags from Apache

This may not be quite the way to go (though I'm finding it slightly hard
to determine what is).

The issue is this: APR is supposed to be independent of Apache,
ultimately. However, it is necessary that it agrees with whatever it
links with about various compiler flags, including threading ones. There
needs to be a defined way for this to work, rather than Apache-specific
magic.

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr configure.in

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Sascha Schumann wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 07:21:23PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > sascha@hyperreal.org wrote:
> > >
> > > sascha      00/01/16 10:20:57
> > >
> > >   Modified:    src/lib/apr configure.in
> > >   Log:
> > >   Inherit thread flags from Apache
> >
> > This may not be quite the way to go (though I'm finding it slightly hard
> > to determine what is).
> >
> > The issue is this: APR is supposed to be independent of Apache,
> > ultimately. However, it is necessary that it agrees with whatever it
> > links with about various compiler flags, including threading ones. There
> > needs to be a defined way for this to work, rather than Apache-specific
> > magic.
>
>     Yes, I'm aware of this. The goal is to have a threads check
>     which is very portable and which caches all its results. This
>     would enable us to embed the check in Apache and APR. The
>     runtime penalty would be low (everything is cached) while
>     increasing the independence of APR.

I'm not hugely concerned about caching, though it is obviosuly a bonus.

>     What you are currently seeing in the repository is not a
>     finished product (of course). It's just one step closer to
>     the goal outlined above (the commit was basically triggered
>     by someone requesting a fix for his FreeBSD 3.2 setup ;).

Ahem. Thanks for the fix!

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 07:21:23PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> sascha@hyperreal.org wrote:
> >
> > sascha      00/01/16 10:20:57
> >
> >   Modified:    src/lib/apr configure.in
> >   Log:
> >   Inherit thread flags from Apache
>
> This may not be quite the way to go (though I'm finding it slightly hard
> to determine what is).
>
> The issue is this: APR is supposed to be independent of Apache,
> ultimately. However, it is necessary that it agrees with whatever it
> links with about various compiler flags, including threading ones. There
> needs to be a defined way for this to work, rather than Apache-specific
> magic.

    Yes, I'm aware of this. The goal is to have a threads check
    which is very portable and which caches all its results. This
    would enable us to embed the check in Apache and APR. The
    runtime penalty would be low (everything is cached) while
    increasing the independence of APR.

    What you are currently seeing in the repository is not a
    finished product (of course). It's just one step closer to
    the goal outlined above (the commit was basically triggered
    by someone requesting a fix for his FreeBSD 3.2 setup ;).

                            Sascha Schumann
                                 Consultant