Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Samuel Sadek <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2002/06/08 11:37:23 UTC

Using TLS & SSL

I have looked at James website and have witnessed a section on setting up
James to use an ecryption tunnel between server and requesting clients via
usage of TLS and SSL protocols. The section there is outdated and refers to
explicitely version 1.2.1 of James. I'm having problems getting it
configured on the latest version of James i.e. 2.1a1. Can anyone lend me a
helping hand? Or better still update the section I mentioned so that many
poor souls can start this attempt.

Thanks in advance,

Sam.

RE: Using TLS & SSL

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Note to James developers: I can update security section for latest James,
> what is the submission format for this?

Andrei,

As I understand it ...

Look in the CVS under jakarta-james/src/xdocs/usingTLS_v1_2.xml.  You might
want to copy that file to produce a new one for James v2.  The link into the
site is in src/xdocs/stylesheets/project.xml.  I suppose you could modify
the site to point to the new one, and put a link in the new one to point
back to the old one.

Then you would submit the new file and the project.xml diff to the developer
mailing list for one of the developers to review/revise/apply.

	--- Noel

Re: Using TLS & SSL

Posted by "Andrei A. Ivanov" <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Hi, Sam

1. Check version of cornerstone package James uses. It must be latest one (I
advise you to build cornerstone.jar from apache cvs sources). Before you
build cornerstone make sure you have jsse packages in place and it is
detected by cornerstone build.
2. Generate your test keystore using your java keytool (refer sun's manual
for this)
3. uncomment <useTLS>true</useTLS> in smtpserver
4. uncomment <factory name=... blah blah blah in sockets block of
james-config
5. Now make sure that:
   a. james build includes this keystore into sar
   b. james-config.xml contains correct information about this keystore
   c. james build "builds" jsse jars into james.sar
6. build james and enjoy ;-) ssl (there are tricks to make, let's say OE
work with secured james, but this is a M$ know how :-), just kidding)

Need more info, don't hesitate ask!

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>