Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Srinivasan Krish <sr...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/13 00:20:48 UTC

Security hole in SessionValidation??

Hi,
I am using Jetspeed1.3.1b.  This seems to be a
security hole that one can see others portlets just by
forming a URL without knowing password.

One of the portlet, for user 'turbine', is
HelloVelocity which would say 'Hello' message for a
given text in this portlet's textbox.

If I give the following URL (got this url from
HelloVelocity portlets's FORM tag) directly in the
browser's URL tab, I am able to see all of the
portlets of 'turbine' user (but without Min. Max.
Close...controls).  Also HelloVelocity portlet
displays with the text that I specified in the URL.
This is happening even after I,
 - logged out of Turbine user session,
 - opened a new browser instance,
 - restart the Webserver.

http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal/user/turbine/page/default.psml/template/Home?text=Srini&eventSubmit_doUpdate=Update

When I logged in as a user 'turbine' properly, I am
able to see the Hello message with the text that was
given before in the URL directly.

When I walk through Jetspeed
'TemplateSessionValidator' class, I see the following
lines in doPerform() method,
        // The user may have not logged in, so create
a "guest" user.
        if ( data.getUser() == null)
        {

data.setUser(JetspeedSecurity.getAnonymousUser());
            data.save();
        }
So I guess user Turbine's portlets are executed as a
Anonymous user (this may be reason for showing
portlets without any controls).

Any solution to fix this problem?

Thanks in Advance,
Srini.K