Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Andryc <ka...@miser.umass.edu> on 2002/06/17 19:23:46 UTC

Database Locked

I know I have posted here before on this subject but I have tried everything
and still no luck. My problem is that after I make a connection, update the
database and exit, Tomcat still holds the database until I restart Tomcat.
Here is the code I use:

try {
Class.forname("com.hxtt.sql.dbf.DBFDriver");
Connection connection =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:DBF:/C:/mydatabases", "", "");
Statement statement = connection.createStatement();

// do some SQL stuff

	connection.commit();
} catch (Exception ex) {
	ex.printStackTrace();
}

finally {
	try {
		statement.close();
		connection.close();
	} catch (SQLException sqlex) {
		sqlex.printStackTrace();
	}
}

The database does get unlocked, but only well after the program was done
executing and finished. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

RE: Database Locked

Posted by John Gregg <jo...@techarch.com>.
In addition to what George already said, you should wrap EACH close
statement in a try/catch.  Here's the way I do it:

Connection conn = null;
Statement stmt = null;

try {
	// get connection, do stuff
	conn.commit();
} catch (Exception e) {
	if (conn != null) {try {conn.rollback();} catch (SQLException sqle){}};
	// handle exception here
} finally {
	// clean up after yourself
	if (stmt != null) {try {stmt.close();} catch (SQLException sqle) {}};
	if (conn != null) {try {conn.close();} catch (SQLException sqle) {}};
}

john

RE: Database Locked

Posted by Kevin Andryc <ka...@miser.umass.edu>.
I have tried that and unfortunately it doesn't help either!

Kevin

You really need to do a connection.rollback() in the catch statement. If an
exception is thrown, this will leave the record locked in sql databases.

RE: Database Locked

Posted by "Sexton, George" <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.