Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Antsa <ad...@teamware.com> on 2009/03/05 05:31:22 UTC

Transport disposed exceptions on shutdown

I have an embedded broker started via a Spring ApplicationContext using the
activemq.xml file shipped with standard 5.2.0.

When shutting down my Container and closing the Spring context, I get some
exceptions logged.  The first is at DEBUG level

2009-03-05 15:25:20,765 DEBUG[VMTransport]:
org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection [null] - Async exception with no
exception listener:
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportDisposedIOException: Peer
(vm://localhost#1) disposed.
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportDisposedIOException: Peer
(vm://localhost#1) disposed.
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.vm.VMTransport.iterate(VMTransport.java:203)

and the second a short while later @INFO

2009-03-05 15:25:21,046 INFO [TossContainer]:
org.apache.activemq.AdvisoryConsumer [Container] - Failed to send remove
command: javax.jms.JMSException: Transport disposed.
javax.jms.JMSException: Transport disposed.
        at
org.apache.activemq.util.JMSExceptionSupport.create(JMSExceptionSupport.java:62)
        at
org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection.doAsyncSendPacket(ActiveMQConnection.java:1216)
        at
org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection.asyncSendPacket(ActiveMQConnection.java:1208)
        at
org.apache.activemq.AdvisoryConsumer.dispose(AdvisoryConsumer.java:56)

I am assuming that as these are not any ERROR or WARNING logs they can be
ignored (??) but isn't having the INFO Exception stack trace a bit
unnecessary in an otherwise clean shutdown.

Is there any way to disable this other than disabling INFO logging for this
class - If I do that will I lose something useful?

Antony

Re: Transport disposed exceptions on shutdown

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antony,
You can safely ignore the DEBUG log messages and possibly the INFO message
in the case as it occurs on shutdown. Typically INFO messages can be ignored
as they will not effect reliabilty.
However, I you can build a simple Junit test case that reliably reproduces
this behavior, please open an jira issue and it can be investigated.
There may some race condition in the VM transport that causes it to shutdown
prematurly.

Gary.

2009/3/5 Antsa <ad...@teamware.com>

> I have an embedded broker started via a Spring ApplicationContext using the
> activemq.xml file shipped with standard 5.2.0.
>
> When shutting down my Container and closing the Spring context, I get some
> exceptions logged.  The first is at DEBUG level
>
> 2009-03-05 15:25:20,765 DEBUG[VMTransport]:
> org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection [null] - Async exception with no
> exception listener:
> org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportDisposedIOException: Peer
> (vm://localhost#1) disposed.
> org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportDisposedIOException: Peer
> (vm://localhost#1) disposed.
>        at
> org.apache.activemq.transport.vm.VMTransport.iterate(VMTransport.java:203)
>
> and the second a short while later @INFO
>
> 2009-03-05 15:25:21,046 INFO [TossContainer]:
> org.apache.activemq.AdvisoryConsumer [Container] - Failed to send remove
> command: javax.jms.JMSException: Transport disposed.
> javax.jms.JMSException: Transport disposed.
>        at
>
> org.apache.activemq.util.JMSExceptionSupport.create(JMSExceptionSupport.java:62)
>        at
>
> org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection.doAsyncSendPacket(ActiveMQConnection.java:1216)
>        at
>
> org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection.asyncSendPacket(ActiveMQConnection.java:1208)
>        at
> org.apache.activemq.AdvisoryConsumer.dispose(AdvisoryConsumer.java:56)
>
> I am assuming that as these are not any ERROR or WARNING logs they can be
> ignored (??) but isn't having the INFO Exception stack trace a bit
> unnecessary in an otherwise clean shutdown.
>
> Is there any way to disable this other than disabling INFO logging for this
> class - If I do that will I lose something useful?
>
> Antony

http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source SOA
http://FUSESource.com