Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net> on 2004/08/07 05:08:55 UTC

Is this Blacklist format wrong?

I have three blacklist lines in my local.cf
blacklist_from *.musiciansfriend.com
blacklist_from *.HRPROMOTIONS.COM
blacklist_from *.vikingrivercruises.com

Those jerks from vikingrivercruises ALWAYS seem to evade
this rule, manage to get autolearned as ham.

They connect as email.vikingrivercruises.com but in the past
they have changed the first node, so I blacklist the domain
and still can't get rid of them.

Seems I must have a syntax error?

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: Is this Blacklist format wrong?

Posted by Mike Burger <mb...@bubbanfriends.org>.

You might be able to get away with *@*.vikingrivercruises.com
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@bubbanfriends.org

with a message of:

subscribe

Re: Is this Blacklist format wrong?

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
David B Funk wrote:
> Try:
> blacklist_from *@*.vikingrivercruises.com
>
> That will get all messages of the format:
>
>         SOMETHING@SOMETHING.vikingrivercruises.com
>
> Note that you need the '@' in your pattern, in this context
> the '*' is explicitly coded to not match '@'

Curious.  I've been using the *.domain.com format (both blacklist and
whitelist) and haven't had any trouble.  I tried the *@*.domain.com
format once, and it failed- no error messages, just didn't work.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!

Re: Is this Blacklist format wrong?

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, John Andersen wrote:

> > yes. Must be
> >
> > blacklist_from *@vikingrivercruises.com
>
> Ok, but as I mentioned, there is another node in there that
> varies, sometimes  @email.vikingrivercruises.com, sometimes
> @mail.vikingrivercruises.com, etc.  They keep changing it.
>
> So I guess I'll build a couple different rules. Thx.

Try:
blacklist_from *@*.vikingrivercruises.com

That will get all messages of the format:

	SOMETHING@SOMETHING.vikingrivercruises.com

Note that you need the '@' in your pattern, in this context
the '*' is explicitly coded to not match '@'

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Is this Blacklist format wrong?

Posted by Mike Burger <mb...@bubbanfriends.org>.
On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, John Andersen wrote:

> On Friday 06 August 2004 07:58 pm, Jim Knuth wrote:
> > Hallo und guten Morgen John,
> >
> > danke für die Email vom 07.08.2004 um 05:08
> >
> > John Andersen schrieb - wrote:
> > > blacklist_from *.vikingrivercruises.com
> > >
> > > Seems I must have a syntax error?
> >
> > yes. Must be
> >
> > blacklist_from *@vikingrivercruises.com
>
> Ok, but as I mentioned, there is another node in there that
> varies, sometimes  @email.vikingrivercruises.com, sometimes
> @mail.vikingrivercruises.com, etc.  They keep changing it.
>
> So I guess I'll build a couple different rules. Thx.

Additionally, if you have admin privs on the box, you could add the
various instances of .vikingrivercruises.com to your mail server's list of
domains to reject.

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.

Posted by Jim Knuth <jk...@jkart.de>.
Hallo und guten Morgen John,

danke für die Email vom 07.08.2004 um 05:08
John Andersen schrieb - wrote:

> blacklist_from *.vikingrivercruises.com

> Seems I must have a syntax error?

yes. Must be

blacklist_from *@vikingrivercruises.com

--
Viele Grüße, Kind regards,
 Jim Knuth

virengeprüft mit NOD32 Version 1.835 Update 06.08.2004