Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by William Bell <bi...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/01 07:06:03 UTC

Re: Compression vs FieldCache for doc ids retrieval

Why not just submit a JIRA issue - and add your patch so that we can all
benefit?

--
Bill Bell
billnbell@gmail.com

Re: Compression vs FieldCache for doc ids retrieval

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.
@William Firstly because I was sure that the ticket (or an equivalent) was
already opened but I just could not find it. Thanks @Manuel. Secondly
because I wanted to start the discussion, I have the feeling that the
compression of the documents, activated by default, can be a killer for
some applications (if the number of shards is big or if you have a lot of
deep paging queries) and I wanted to check if someone noticed the problem
in a benchmark. Let's say that you have 10 shards and you want to return 10
documents per request, in the first stage of the search each shard would
need to decompress 10 blocks of 16k each whereas the second stage would
need to decompress only 10 blocks total. This makes me believe that this
patch should be the default behaviour for any distributed search in Solr (I
mean more than 1 shard).
Maybe it's better to continue the discussion on the ticket created by
Manuel, but still, I think that it could speed up every queries (not only
deep paging queries like in the patch proposed in Manuel's ticket).

Jim