Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <am...@apache.org> on 2012/06/15 14:17:39 UTC

Changing collation

It looks like this feature is not getting much attention: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5179

Is there any workaround to changing collations on a database without dumping all the data and reimporting it into a new database? Can we just drop all the indexes or something and force them to rebuild?

We have quite a few customer databases (many over 100Mb) with BLOBS and other troublesome columns, which would be a real nuisance to have to write an automated export/import script for just to make the text fields case insensitive. Is there another way?

Thanks
Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Changing collation

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <da...@oracle.com>.
Aristedes Maniatis <am...@apache.org> writes:

> It looks like this feature is not getting much attention:
>
> Is there any workaround to changing collations on a database without
> dumping all the data and reimporting it into a new database? Can we
> just drop all the indexes or something and force them to rebuild?
>
> We have quite a few customer databases (many over 100Mb) with BLOBS
> and other troublesome columns, which would be a real nuisance to have
> to write an automated export/import script for just to make the text
> fields case insensitive. Is there another way?

Are there many text fields you need to be case insensitive? Another
method would be to add a generated column and index that, cf.

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/ref/rrefsqljgenerationclause.html#rrefsqljgenerationclause

which has an example showing this technique. Of course, increased space
requirements is a downside.

Dag