Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Daniel Klco <da...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/12 20:34:52 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Improving GitHub Projects

All,

Having followed the migration from SVN -> GitHub, I have to admit that I
still find it challenging to navigate the new GitHub structure.

Based on what I've seen with Sling and other Apache projects, I wonder if
we could do the following to make it easier for new users:

   - Include link in every README back to the Sling Aggregator project,
   instructing users who want to understand the codebase to begin there
   - Have the Sling Aggregator write out a list of all of the Sling project
   pages
   - Add CONTRIBUTING.md and CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md linking back to the pages
   on the Sling / Apache sites into every repo
   - Hook up tools like Code Climate, Coveralls and TravisCI to run on
   commit
   - Any other ideas?

I'd think some of these things we could do pretty simply with a script, and
some we'd probably want to do one at a time as we do new releases.

Any thoughts, questions or concerns?

Regards,
Dan

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving GitHub Projects

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2018-01-15 at 15:58 -0500, Daniel Klco wrote:
> Does anyone know if it'd be possible to set up CI tools? Is this
> something
> we'd have to go back to Infrastructure for?

We're still a bit in limbo here. I had hoped to use CI jobs via the
Multibranch pipeline, but unfortunately that requires a Jenkinsfile per
repo.

I think the Apache Maven project is doing something in the way of
modularising builds with a global Jenkinsfile. We could look into that
once they stabilise their work, but I don't have the time for that ATM.

Robert

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving GitHub Projects

Posted by Daniel Klco <da...@gmail.com>.
Oliver,

Nice, this is exactly what I was hoping for! And the point on contributing
and code of conduct, it is a lot of unnecessary files. I do think we should
still update the README's to point back to the aggregator.

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Friday 12 January 2018 15:34:52 Daniel Klco wrote:
> All,

Hi Dan,