Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net> on 2008/05/26 04:18:43 UTC

Spam from Gmail & Blogspot

Example spam at: http://www.pbp.net/~jnichols/spam3.txt

I've been getting quite a lot of spam that's coming *directly* from
Google, using Google servers and referencing blogspot.com (also a
Google property) URLs. I've been submitting them to URIBL but
naturally, they're constantly changing.

What have you guys done to try and cut down on the blatant spam coming
right out of Google? It seems that they are *very* bad at responding
to spam complaints (if they respond at all) and Google is actually
helping spammers by hiding the originating IP address.

I don't want to just go and add points to gmail/blogspot because of
the number of valid users.

Also, do any of the SA rulesets give a negative score to Google
properties? If so, perhaps it's time to rethink that..

Cheers,

Re: Spam from Gmail & Blogspot

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 28.05.08 20:24, Bob Proulx wrote:
> One change seems to be that Google's captcha has been broken.
>
>   http://www.google.com/search?q=google+captcha+broken

don't they block found pages yet? ;-)
Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Re: Spam from Gmail & Blogspot

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Joseph Brennan wrote:
> Just a few months ago we did not get much spam at all from gmail.
> Something changed.

One change seems to be that Google's captcha has been broken.

  http://www.google.com/search?q=google+captcha+broken

Bob

Re: Spam from Gmail & Blogspot

Posted by Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>.
Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu> wrote:

>> I have checked the Received: headers several times and the messages  are
>> coming from <gmail> or <googlemail>.  Maybe they  should  be  listet  in
>> <rfc-ignorant.org>.
>
> We have 200 complaints a day about spam that really comes from gmail.
> It's the biggest source of spam that gets through.  Obviously it's also
> a very big source of legit mail.  Just a few months ago we did not get
> much spam at all from gmail.  Something changed.

Agreed, and people need to realize that spam delivered via gmail servers *is*
Google's responsibility.  No exceptions.

--
Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>

Re: Spam from Gmail & Blogspot

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.
> I have checked the Received: headers several times and the messages  are
> coming from <gmail> or <googlemail>.  Maybe they  should  be  listet  in
> <rfc-ignorant.org>.

We have 200 complaints a day about spam that really comes from gmail.
It's the biggest source of spam that gets through.  Obviously it's also
a very big source of legit mail.  Just a few months ago we did not get
much spam at all from gmail.  Something changed.

Joseph Brennan

Re: Spam from Gmail & Blogspot

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
------------------------ END OF REPLIED MESSAGE ------------------------

I have checked the Received: headers several times and the messages  are
coming from <gmail> or <googlemail>.  Maybe they  should  be  listet  in
<rfc-ignorant.org>.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Re: Spam from Gmail & Blogspot

Posted by AxisInternet <ax...@gmail.com>.
Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> I think it's more about spammers, law and security of (mostly) home
> computers. In my employer's company we also notice spam increase from our
> network etc. and google as free mail provider is also just the victim.

Victims? IMNTBHO, if a company is going to provide free email services,
which are going to be exploited as much as possible by spammers, then they
either need to actively police it, secure it from abuse (whatever that
takes) or stop. Otherwise they are part of the problem. Relaying spam as
they do is unacceptable. If us little guys have a server relaying spam, they
will block us in a heartbeat and think nothing of it....

Chris

Re: Spam from Gmail & Blogspot

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 27.05.08 18:16, AxisInternet wrote:
> Yes, unfortunately, Google has joined Hotmail and Yahoo lately as being a
> part of the problem and no the solution. It's unfortunate.
>
> I do find that I block the bulk of it though with some good manual bayes
> training...

I think it's more about spammers, law and security of (mostly) home
computers. In my employer's company we also notice spam increase from our
network etc. and google as free mail provider is also just the victim.

Yes, providers can do much with the spam problem. But not all.

It's now safe to throw off your computer.

Re: Spam from Gmail & Blogspot

Posted by AxisInternet <ax...@gmail.com>.

Re: Spam from Gmail & Blogspot

Posted by Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>.