Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stephen Charles Huey <st...@fastmail.fm> on 2004/07/14 18:28:43 UTC

manager app: sessions

I have read the Manager App HOW-TO at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/manager-howto.html

So, I'm accessing the following URL just like the example shows:
https://www.(mydomain).com/manager/sessions?path=/ristmain

I'm trying to interpret these results:
OK - Session information for application at context path /ristmain
Default maximum session inactive interval 30 minutes
30 - <40 minutes:100 sessions
120 - <130 minutes:1071 sessions

My main question is, does Tomcat update these numbers in realtime, or
only once in a while (like every 10 minutes)?  I'm wondering why it says
30 - <40 minutes...?  I logged into the web app as another user and that
100 didn't increase.  It's hard for me to tell if my logging in was
counted later on just because real users are logging in and out all the
time.  I guess the most important thing I need to know here is how long
I should wait to take another sampling...wait 10 minutes each time, or
what?  If it says 100 sessions, then that means within the past half an
hour (or 40 minutes?), there have been a total of about 100 users logged
in, right?

Are these the only statistics available about sessions?  Would I have to
customize Tomcat to find out more?

Thanks,
Stephen

Re: manager app: sessions

Posted by Robert Bateman <bo...@sequoiallc.com>.
Stephen,

I do not know if my "interpretation" of how TomCat tracks sessions is correct.
Normally, I look at the number of sessions as listed on the /manager/html
page.   But my interpretation could be *completely wrong...*

Bob

Re: manager app: sessions

Re: manager app: sessions

Posted by Robert Bateman <bo...@sequoiallc.com>.