Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> on 2013/09/26 09:19:32 UTC

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Hello,

> From: Andre Fischer [mailto:awf.aoo@gmail.com]

> Yes, exactly.  If you have an idea for a demo panel and can
> design the
> dialog then I can wrap a Java extension around it.
>
> -Andre

It took a long time but here is my example, a simple search for writer.

Can you please help me now?

The complete example-extension can be found here:
http://calc-info.de/files/demo_textsuche.oxt

Here is the dialogue:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE dlg:window PUBLIC "-//OpenOffice.org//DTD OfficeDocument 1.0//EN"
"dialog.dtd">
<dlg:window xmlns:dlg="http://openoffice.org/2000/dialog"
xmlns:script="http://openoffice.org/2000/script" dlg:id="dlg_textsuche"
dlg:left="243" dlg:top="165" dlg:width="178" dlg:height="180" dlg:closeable="true"
dlg:moveable="true" dlg:title="Demo_Textsuche">
 <dlg:bulletinboard>
  <dlg:text dlg:id="lbl_hinweis" dlg:tab-index="0" dlg:left="5" dlg:top="10"
dlg:width="168" dlg:height="23" dlg:value="Diese Extension dient zur Demonstration
des Einbindens von Steuerelementen in die AOO-Sidebar." dlg:multiline="true"/>
  <dlg:textfield dlg:id="txt_suchtext" dlg:tab-index="1" dlg:left="5" dlg:top="49"
dlg:width="166" dlg:height="16"/>
  <dlg:text dlg:id="lbl_suchtext" dlg:tab-index="2" dlg:left="7" dlg:top="38"
dlg:width="57" dlg:height="12" dlg:value="Suchtext:"/>
  <dlg:button dlg:id="cmd_suche" dlg:tab-index="3" dlg:left="7" dlg:top="71"
dlg:width="60" dlg:height="16" dlg:value="Suche Nächsten">
   <script:event script:event-name="on-performaction"
script:macro-name="vnd.sun.star.script:Demo_Textsuche.textsuche.Suche_Einzel?langu
age=Basic&amp;location=application" script:language="Script"/>
  </dlg:button>
  <dlg:text dlg:id="lbl_lizenz" dlg:tab-index="5" dlg:left="58" dlg:top="148"
dlg:width="115" dlg:height="30" dlg:value="Lizenz: &#x0a;Apache License, Version
2.0&#x0a;Copyright 2013, Jörg Schmidt" dlg:align="right" dlg:multiline="true"/>
  <dlg:text dlg:id="lbl_ersatz" dlg:tab-index="7" dlg:left="7" dlg:top="95"
dlg:width="57" dlg:height="12" dlg:value="Ersetze durch:"/>
  <dlg:textfield dlg:id="txt_ersatz" dlg:tab-index="6" dlg:left="6" dlg:top="106"
dlg:width="166" dlg:height="16"/>
  <dlg:button dlg:id="cmd_ersatz" dlg:tab-index="4" dlg:left="7" dlg:top="129"
dlg:width="60" dlg:height="16" dlg:value="Ersetze Nächsten">
   <script:event script:event-name="on-performaction"
script:macro-name="vnd.sun.star.script:Demo_Textsuche.textsuche.Ersetze_Einzel?lan
guage=Basic&amp;location=application" script:language="Script"/>
  </dlg:button>
 </dlg:bulletinboard>
</dlg:window>

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

Your question has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

*Why you do not open a new thread?*

> I am interested in creating a non modal search dialog,

Here is a very simple example for a non-modal dialog:

Sub status()
warten_model = CreateUnoService("com.sun.star.awt.UnoControlDialogModel")
warten_model.setPropertyValue("Width",  150) '343
warten_model.setPropertyValue("Height", 20)
warten_model.SetPropertyValue("Title","Bitte etwas Geduld")

oMod_warten =
warten_model.createInstance("com.sun.star.awt.UnoControlFixedTextModel")
With oMod_warten
   .setPropertyValue("Name","warten1")
   .setPropertyValue("PositionX",5) '192
   .setPropertyValue("PositionY",5)
   .setPropertyValue("Width",140)
   .setPropertyValue("Height",13)
   .setPropertyValue("Label","...")
End With
warten_model.insertByName("warten1", oMod_warten)
warten_dialog = CreateUnoService("com.sun.star.awt.UnoControlDialog")
warten_dialog.setModel(warten_model)

oWin2 = CreateUnoService("com.sun.star.awt.Toolkit")
warten_dialog.createPeer(oWin2, null)
warten_dialog.setVisible(True)

for i = 0 To 50000 Step 10
   warten_dialog.Model.getByName("warten1").Label = i & " Werte verglichen"
next i

warten_dialog.setVisible(False)
End Sub

> something
> docked would be best.

I do not know

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Mike Dupont <ja...@googlemail.com>.
I am interested in creating a non modal search dialog, something
docked would be best. the dialog is getting in the way of the text.
Is there any way to do that?
mike

James Michael DuPont
Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/13 3:01 PM, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:

> On 09.10.2013 14:42, Andre Fischer wrote:
>> On 03.10.2013 11:37, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
>>> Hello,

>>> The extension function is very simple, there is a dialog with two text fields to
>>> enter a search string and a replacement text, and two buttons to start searching
>>> or replacing. The extension is for writer.
>>>
>>> So not much function but it is indeed primarily an example of integration in the
>>> sidebar
>>>
>>> This dialogue should now be implemented, he works as a sidebar, so:
>>>
>>> 2 text fields for entering
>>> 4 Label Fields
>>> 2 buttons to launch two Basic Macros
>>>

>> I was somewhat but not entirely successful in turning your BASIC script into a sidebar panel.
>>
>> I have created an Eclipse project of the sidebar panel [1].   Run the 'oxt' target of the Ant
>> build file to create the file SidebarBasicPanelDemo.oxt in the dist/ directory.   Install this
>> extension in a 4.* OpenOffice and restart.  Now you should see in the sidebar tab bar a new entry
>> with a gear icon.  Click on it to swtich to the demo panel.
>>
>> What works is that the dialog is displayed as expected.  Callbacks into the BASIC script work also.
>>
>> What does not work is that the BASIC script can not access the dialog for eg retrieval of the
>> search strings.  The reason for that is that the dialog is not created from the script in the
>> 'Start_dialog' function but on the Java side of the implementation. I tried to call from Java into
>> BASIC with the dialog object.  The call works, but I did not get the public BASIC variable
>> 'ts_dialog' to work.  When you click on the 'Suche Nächsten' button then the ts_dialog value is
>> empty again.
>>
>> But maybe this is a good thing, because every document has its own side bar and its own BASIC
>> dialog.  Using a single global variable to hold the dialog would not work.  As I do not know
>> OpenOffice BASIC well enough to know if and how object orientation works, I did not try to fix this.
>> I also do not know how to change the event callbacks to pass parameters to the BASIC script.
>> Without parameters, your BASIC script does not know from which instance of the dialog it has been
>> called and thus could not retrieve the search string, even if it could access the dialogs.
>>
>> Using the BASIC dialog but do the implementation in Java would be much easier and more reliable.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Andre
>>

>> [1] http://people.apache.org/~af/SidebarBasicDemo.zip
> Very interesting!
>
> Would it be possible for you use e.g. BeanShell, JavaScript, Pyhton,  instead of AOO Basic to fetch
> the values in the Basic dialog one way or another? If so, could you please create such a sidebar
> extension too, which could serve as a great template for script coders to take advantage of the new
> sidebar feature?

Python should be no problem because it is a full language binding and
you can implement UNO objects in Python. The problem is more with
scripting languages where this is not possible.

But anyway to support Basic here better probably more work is necessary
and I don't see that this will happen soon. Any volunteers who are
interested to work on a better support? Without having real detail
knowledge I assume that we would need some helper in Basic to support
the management of dialogs/sidebar per frame/document and to allow easy
access to the underlying window controls...

But in general I would concentrate on other more powerful languages like
Java or Python instead of Basic.

Juergen

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <ro...@apache.org>.
> [...]
> I also do not know how to change the event callbacks to pass parameters to the BASIC script.
> Without parameters, your BASIC script does not know from which instance of the dialog it has been
> called and thus could not retrieve the search string, even if it could access the dialogs.
>
> Using the BASIC dialog but do the implementation in Java would be much easier and more reliable.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andre
>

> [1] http://people.apache.org/~af/SidebarBasicDemo.zip
Very interesting!

Would it be possible for you use e.g. BeanShell, JavaScript, Pyhton,  instead of AOO Basic to fetch
the values in the Basic dialog one way or another? If so, could you please create such a sidebar
extension too, which could serve as a great template for script coders to take advantage of the new

---rony

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 14.10.2013 17:08, Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 10.10.2013 15:08, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
>> Hello,
>>> From: Andre Fischer [mailto:awf.aoo@gmail.com]
>>> As far as I understand our variant of BASIC it is not
>>> possible to create
>>> a BASIC-only extension.  Therefore my idea was to create a Java-BASIC
>>> hybrid where the generic boilerplate code (factory, registration of
>>> services, etc) is written in Java and only the implementation of the
>>> actual panel is provided in BASIC.  But this does not seem to work
>>> either.  But maybe only my knowledge of OpenOffice BASIC is
>>> not good enough.
>>>
>>> The Java-only solution that DOES work can probably be easily
>>> adopted to
>>> other languages with proper UNO binding.
>> I think I understand what you mean, because I know of similar solutions.
>>
>> Do you see a chance, we will discuss the details in German [*] and
>> only the final
>> result again in English, here on the mailinglist?
>
> Sure, we can discuss this in German off-list.  I would prefer an
> asynchronous medium, like email.

That should have been "... German, off-list."

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Andre Fischer [mailto:awf.aoo@gmail.com]

> > Do you see a chance, we will discuss the details in German
> [*] and only the final
> > result again in English, here on the mailinglist?
>
> Sure, we can discuss this in German off-list.  I would prefer an
> asynchronous medium, like email.

Thank you for your consent.

I have sent you a personal email.

Jörg

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 10.10.2013 13:28, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
>> From: Andre Fischer [mailto:awf.aoo@gmail.com]
>> I did not provide one on purpose because it does not work.  If you
>> really want to use BASIC to implement the panel then you have
>> to fix the
>> callback/dialog reference issues.
> Sorry, I do not understand the situation.
>
>  From the beginning I talked only about a *Basic* extension.
>
> *Is it true that I can not use the sidebar using Basic Extension?* Or do I
> understand this wrong?

As far as I understand our variant of BASIC it is not possible to create
a BASIC-only extension.  Therefore my idea was to create a Java-BASIC
hybrid where the generic boilerplate code (factory, registration of
services, etc) is written in Java and only the implementation of the
actual panel is provided in BASIC.  But this does not seem to work
either.  But maybe only my knowledge of OpenOffice BASIC is not good enough.

The Java-only solution that DOES work can probably be easily adopted to
other languages with proper UNO binding.

>> But if you or anybody else want to give Java a try, I made
>> another demo
>> [2] and implemented a similar search dialog completely in
>> Java.  Most of
>> that demo extension is generic code that does not have to be modified
>> for a real-life extension.  Any other language with complete
>> UNO binding
>> (like Python) should work very similar.
>>
>> Look into its README file for an explanation of the
>> individual files and
>> pointers of what to change if you want to implement your own panels.
>>
>> Here is how to import that ZIP file into Eclipse:
>>
>> - Start a generic or Java-centric Eclipse
>> - Click menu entry File->Import...
>>
>> In the 'Import' dialog
>>     - Select 'General->Existing Projects into Workspace'
>>     - Click 'Next >'
>>     - Select 'Select archive file:'
>>     - Click 'Browse...' and load the downloaded SidebarSearchDemo.zip
>>     - Click 'Finish'
>> A new entry should appear in the 'Package Explorer' (by
>> default on the
>> left side) labeld 'SidebarSearchDemo'.
>>
>> - Locate the 'Ant' view.  If it is not open then
>>     - Click Window->Show View->Ant
>> - Drag-and-drop the 'SidebarSearchDemo' entry from the 'Package
>> Explorer' to the 'Ant' view.
>> - Expand the new 'SidebarSearchDemoOXT' entry in the 'Ant' view.
>>
>> - Double click on the 'oxt [default]' entry.
>>     This will build both the JAR and the OXT file.
>> - In OpenOffice open the extension manager and add the newly built
>>     SidebarSearchDemo.oxt.  It doesn't matter if one is already
>>     installed, it will be overwritten.
>> - Restart OpenOffice
>>
>> Repeat the last step three steps (from double click on 'oxt'
>> to restart)
>> whenever you made changes and want to test them.
> Thank you for this work, not only helps me, because I understand neither Java nor
> Eclipse

I am sorry to hear that.  Maybe this is a good oportunity to learn Java :-)

-Andre

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Jürgen Schmidt [mailto:jogischmidt@gmail.com]

> > *Is it true that I can not use the sidebar using Basic
> Extension?* Or do I
> > understand this wrong?
>
> you understand correct, it doesn't work with Basic and more work would
> be necessary. Or potentially some Basic experts have some ideas how to
> add the dialog as parameter to the callback functions.

One would have to think about it in detail, your proposal in principle could be a
possibility.

Jörg

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 10.10.2013 10:04, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> Hello Andre, *,
>
>> From: Andre Fischer [mailto:awf.aoo@gmail.com]
>> I was somewhat but not entirely successful in turning your
>> BASIC script
>> into a sidebar panel.
> Thank you very much.
>
> But ...
>
>> I have created an Eclipse project of the sidebar panel [1].   Run the
>> 'oxt' target of the Ant build file to create the file
>> SidebarBasicPanelDemo.oxt in the dist/ directory.
> What should I do exactly? I do not know, because I am not familiar with Eclipse.
>
> Could not you please create a finished oxt?

I did not provide one on purpose because it does not work.  If you
really want to use BASIC to implement the panel then you have to fix the
callback/dialog reference issues.

But if you or anybody else want to give Java a try, I made another demo
[2] and implemented a similar search dialog completely in Java.  Most of
that demo extension is generic code that does not have to be modified
for a real-life extension.  Any other language with complete UNO binding
(like Python) should work very similar.

Look into its README file for an explanation of the individual files and
pointers of what to change if you want to implement your own panels.

Here is how to import that ZIP file into Eclipse:

- Start a generic or Java-centric Eclipse
- Click menu entry File->Import...

In the 'Import' dialog
   - Select 'General->Existing Projects into Workspace'
   - Click 'Next >'
   - Select 'Select archive file:'
   - Click 'Browse...' and load the downloaded SidebarSearchDemo.zip
   - Click 'Finish'
A new entry should appear in the 'Package Explorer' (by default on the
left side) labeld 'SidebarSearchDemo'.

- Locate the 'Ant' view.  If it is not open then
   - Click Window->Show View->Ant
- Drag-and-drop the 'SidebarSearchDemo' entry from the 'Package
Explorer' to the 'Ant' view.
- Expand the new 'SidebarSearchDemoOXT' entry in the 'Ant' view.

- Double click on the 'oxt [default]' entry.
   This will build both the JAR and the OXT file.
- In OpenOffice open the extension manager and add the newly built
   SidebarSearchDemo.oxt.  It doesn't matter if one is already
   installed, it will be overwritten.
- Restart OpenOffice

Repeat the last step three steps (from double click on 'oxt' to restart)
whenever you made changes and want to test them.

Regards,
Andre

[2] http://people.apache.org/~af/SidebarSearchDemo.zip

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello Andre, *,

> From: Andre Fischer [mailto:awf.aoo@gmail.com]

> I was somewhat but not entirely successful in turning your
> BASIC script
> into a sidebar panel.

Thank you very much.

But ...

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Mike Dupont <ja...@googlemail.com>.
Thank you so much andre, I will see if we can use this!
mike

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 03.10.2013 17:22, James Michael DuPont wrote:
>>> The extension function is very simple, there is a dialog with two text
> fields to
>>> enter a search string and a replacement text, and two buttons to start
> searching
>>> or replacing. The extension is for writer.
> That is what I would like to have as well. We have some code that runs in a
> modal dialog now and would like to have it in the sidebar like the normal
> search and replace works.
> mike
>

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> From: Andre Fischer [mailto:awf.aoo@gmail.com]
>>> for writer.
>>>
>>> That's OK.  I just came back from my vacation and am now
>>> catching up on
>>> emails.

>>> I will try.  Can you tell me, what the extension does and how
>>> you want
>>> it to work and look?
>> The extension function is very simple, there is a dialog with two text
>> fields to
>> enter a search string and a replacement text, and two buttons to start
>> searching
>> or replacing. The extension is for writer.
>>
>> So not much function but it is indeed primarily an example of integration
>> in the
>> sidebar
>>
>> This dialogue should now be implemented, he works as a sidebar, so:
>>
>> 2 text fields for entering
>> 4 Label Fields
>> 2 buttons to launch two Basic Macros

OK, I will see what I can do.  Just give me some time.

-Andre

Re: Sidebar for Developers

Posted by James Michael DuPont <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sidebar for Developers