Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nigel Jackson <ni...@pobox.com> on 2002/11/03 22:07:44 UTC

[users@httpd] Weird problem...Apache & IIS on same machine

Hi all,

Can I ask for any ideas that may help to clear up the following mystery...

...the server set up...win2k advanced server machine, originally running
IIS5.0 on port 80...

I am implementing an Intranet at the company, and was given this machine to
use. I installed Apache 1.3.26, php412 as cgi & mysql, and turned off IIS.

Near the end of the day I loaded the company's old intranet site, so the new
directors could check it out. It's a flat HTML site, using server-side
includes. The DirectoryIndex directive was sent to ET_WA_start_here.shtml,
and everything worked just fine.

Unfortunately, the IT staff had "forgotten" to tell me that the machine was
the one used for remote dialin for the sales team, using Microsoft Exchanges
Outlook web access (a major omission really ;-) )...so when they got their
first complaint from the sales team, they turned Apache off, and IIS back
on.

IIS is configured with a host header xxx.xxxxx.com, that points to the
Outlook web access xxx.xxxxx.com/exchange/logon.asp. The sales team were
happy again!

I then reconfigured Apache to run on another port.

Here's the mystery...from the internet, going for http://xxx.xxxxx.com takes
you to xxx.xxxxx.com/exchange/logon.asp...the Outlook web access login page.
But from inside the company, hitting http://xxx.xxxxx.com takes you to a
page which is the home page from the old intranet, but with no images.
Hitting F5 in IE refreshes correctly to xxx.xxxxx.com/exchange/logon.asp.

This is really weird...at no time did IIS know about the old company site or
its home page, as it was running under Apache, so where could this "ghost"
of the home page be coming from. The proxy server cache has been cleared so
that old home page isn't stored.

Does Apache 1.3.26 under win2k have a page cache somewhere, that IIS can
see?

Rgds,

Nige